Leahy Redwood Incubator

MrsCountryChick

Songster
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
PA
We recently purchased a LARGE Leahy Redwood Incubator...
celebrate.gif
... Hubby is restoring or replacing the wiring to make sure it's in safe working order I was wondering what can I put on the outside? I doubt we'll Ever get rid of it.
wink.png
I'm wanting to treat this like an antique.... meaning I'm Not wanting to resand, refinished or repaint; but I wasn't sure if I should use Pledge cleaning spray, Murphy's Oil Soap or what? We look foward to using it as an incubator soon, so I don't want to do anything that will adversely affect an incubating hatch inside. So what do any of you with a Redwood incubator use to care for the outside? & how should I clean the inside? Would a light bleach solution wiped inside absorb into the thick wood & affect setting eggs? Any help in care would be Greatly Appreciated.
smile.png

I'm not familiar with the incubator, but I am familiar with wood. I was a cabinet/furniture maker for over 20 years. A bleach solution on the inside will be fine & not affect the hatch as long as it's completely dry & aired out. As far as the outside, I would use a Danish rubbing oil. Wipe on, wipe off. 4 or 5 coats will amaze you as far as bringing out the" look" of the wood, & it's non-toxic. Sounds like a fun project. You can just clean it with wood cleaners, but I would go the extra inch.

I'm so glad you posted this. I just bought an old Sears Super Hatcher last week (also made by Leahy) and was wondering the same thing. As for the inside, BrendaPA suggested white vinegar, so that is what I'm doing....removing 60 years of chicken poo is not a fun way to spend your days off, though!
hide.gif

Did you have any problems with your parts? My fan kicked the bucket about an hour after I plugged it in. I got one from GQF, but it doesn't mount up right. I can make that work, I think. Eggs are supposed to be here tomorrow. Doug e-mailed me a manual that I would be glad to forward to you, if you want it.

Good Luck! I'll be glued to the replies you get on this post.

Last edited:
Don has parts for many different rare old incubators, I know he sure has a lot of Petersime parts: http://sunnycreekfarms.zxq.net The phone numbers listed there are the best way to get ahold of him. He's still a bit email-challenged.
smile.png

He would likely be able to advise you on several different cleaning methods; I can tell you I have used any of these: bleach water solution, Brinsea incubator disinfectant or Oxine solution in my Humidaires. I'd recommend airing it in the sun for an afternoon if at all possible to dry, and also to remove any smells that might linger from any one of those solutions. I sometimes run mine out for a least a day afterward too, before even starting my pre-hatch or pre-set warmup...I'll run the Humidaire hatcher with the door open in the hatching room for a bit to be sure it dries out properly. I don't get too terribly heavy or wet with any of the above...I dip, scrub and pull the drawers out to dry, I don't let them soak.

Quote:
Where would I find Danish Rubbing Oil? Is that a generic term or is it name brand called Danish Rubbing Oil? I would LOVE to bring out the natural beauty in the redwood.
smile.png
Thanks for the info.

Quote:
So far so good,
fl.gif
but ours needed new electric wires so we haven't had it up & running yet. But it was shown running & heating when we bought it. Hubby's always busy with work so he's working on it slowly (he's not in a huge rush, wanting to make sure it's all rebuilt/restored & wired correctly). But our thought were if we needed a fan we'd look into other large cabinet incubator replacement parts, but not like they have these antiques rolling off any assembly line now-a-days. We were at first thinking we'd need a new front switch plate (has dual switch with a light in the middle), but luckily it just has some light surface rust that Hubby was able to lightly dremel away, looking like new now. I'm meaning the metal & all involved in the switch & wiring; we didn't touch the outside coverplate, leaving it original. I'm currently using my Brower Top Hatch incubator until this one is up & running. Good Luck on your hatch!
fl.gif
Everyone seems to rave on redwood incubators being Wonderful incubators. I can't wait to use ours.
smile.png

Thanks I'd love a copy of a manual, I'll pm you.
smile.png

Quote:
I'd love to be able to let it air out in the sun, but mine is a 6 drawer, 600 egg, 2 man lifting Large unit that's 23inches wide x 37 1/2inches long & 38 1/2inches tall, so it can't be moved outside, lol. It's Very thick wood, so I can only imagine the weight. But I'll Definately let it air out with the door open. Here's a craigslist ad of the same model of mine to show what mine looks like: http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/grd/1632752636.html Except I have the front moving air hole covers over my front vent holes (this one's are missing) & I have the Thermometer & hydrometer that are affixed to the inside of the door behind the glass window (this one's are missing).

I have a redwood Leahy manufacturing Incubator for sale California riverside county. $350. New electrical and digital thermostat.
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom