Learn from My Mistake

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by deerman, Nov 13, 2011.

1. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Really not upset.....really kind of Funny.

I was at the Ohio National Poultry Show.

I was going back inside , a couple had some golden comet pullets about 5 months old, 5 of them so i made a deal to buy them, then they gave Me 4 older ones and a nice dog cage they were in. Place the pullets in with the older hens .Carry the dog cage to my truck, set it down back of my truck.(i also had 4 breeder peafowl in the bed of the truck)'

Here is were i made the mistake , i set in on the ground at the end of my truck,not in the bed. Well i came back out , all of them were gone, then i notice on the cage a small sign ,that said...older laying hens FREE.....i had not noticed the sign.

So someone got 5 pullets and 4 hens for free......guess good thing the cage was worth what i payed for the 5 pullets.

they were some fine looking chicken, even the older hens...I can see it sure looked like i had place them there for the taking...[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  2. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    Quote:Oh no.
    Were you able t track down any of the birds?

Note to self check all cages for signs.

3. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    no ,who got them must have been leaving....the couple i got them from even offer me 3 of their last pullets(not comets) for free....when i told them the story........wasn't their fault.

I guess i didn't need them anyway...........but i could almost taste those fresh brown eggs...[​IMG]

4. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I will have to remember this warning too. I am sorry that your birds disappeared.

5. TinaK

TinaK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Australia
    Oh how terrible!!!! I'm glad that you admitted that you find it kind of funny... because I had a little chuckle to myself! As if you'd ever expect something like that to happen!!!

6. Quote:Wow, someone got a deal! I'm glad they left you the cage at least. I'm kind of surprised they didn't take the "Free Hens", cage and all.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I was thinking the same thing--thank goodness they left the cage!!! Im sorry Deerman... [​IMG] but I cant help do this [​IMG] thinking of your face when you returned! Maybe it was someone on here that went and they'll fess up? [​IMG] I doubt it but I have tons of brown eggs I can send you!

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Deerman, ya gotta admit that is pretty darn funny. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And missing the 'For Free' note is something that I too am capable of. [​IMG]

Luckily they didn't think the peafowl were also 'for free.'

9. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:YES is was really funny, at first i thought , what someone stole the chickens leaving the peafowl and cage. then i saw the sign, i only paid 12.00.

whats the odds i placed the cage down with the small tag facing to the outside too, other side of the sign said "Rosecomb Anconas pair for $20"

guess i was lucky it didn't say FREE TRUCK. Got to love dumb mistakes. [​IMG]

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Being able to laugh at myself is one of the greatest gifts of the aging process. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by