1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Learn from my MISTAKE!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CritterHill, Jul 7, 2008.

1. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    Do not make the door open inwards on the coop!

I didn't think it was a big deal. So, I would have to push the shavings out of the way when I opened the door. Whatever.

Well, the chickens have now decided that they like ROOSTING ON THE OPEN DOOR!

So every night when I go to lock them up, I have to climb up the crap covered roost ladder and reach precariously over to the door and grab each chicken (usually at least 3) off the top of the door trying not to fall into the lovely shavings below - trying not to drop the chicken that is flapping crazily at this point cause I was only able to grab one leg and get her onto the actual roosts!

Some day, someone is going to get hurt!

I did try just closing the door slowly to push them off, but they stick their necks down to look at me and see what I am doing, so I run the risk of decapitating them!

Aargh!

Every. Single. Night.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    HAHAHA, I just changed my doors around on Saturday. You are very right

3. Missouri chick

Missouri chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    Bless your heart.....silly chickens

4. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    An idea that might work and would be easier than changing the door:

You might try attaching some flexible wire mesh that extends a few inches above the top of the door to the inside of the top section of door. The door would still be able to close, but the chickens wouldn't be able to perch on the door because the wire would make it impossible for them to balance and perch.

We had to staple flexible mesh above the center rafter of one of our coops so the big chickens wouldn't perch on it and then injure their feet when jumping down so far.

5. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    I am sorry but that made me laugh. I could picture it all. Thank you for your tip...we are making the door tomorrow and I will be sure to tell my husband.

6. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    SpeckledHills - You are brilliant! Why on earth didn't I think of that?

This is why I love you people!

7. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Thanks [blush] I feel loved!
    Maybe I thought of it because I've spent probably over 150 hours on such adaptations to our coops. Special obsessive hobby... [​IMG]

BTW--Such meaningful emphasis you gave re. the tedium: "Every. Single. Night." Very hilarious!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by