Learning about chickens

Hey, Dana! Welcome to BYC. Every few years, it seems like members compare costs on their chickens and as far as I can tell nobody is saving money over supermarket eggs. We like knowing the chickens are having a good life, knowing what they eat, and watching the birds, who are always entertaining. But you aren't going to save any money.

But it's a heck of a fun hobby.

Here are some articles I liked starting out:
1. Intro to chicken keeping 1
2. Intro to chicken keeping 2
3. Ventilation w/ links to coop designs by climate (because a coop designed for my New England hens will not work for my Arizona brother's chickens)
4. Predator proofing

You will notice that all these articles have been written by members or administrators of Back Yard Chickens. They have also been reviewed by other members. I like the reviews because, as a newbie, it helps me sort out the most worthwhile and useful articles. Also, some reviews have comments that add to the original article.

You can find lots more articles by using the SEARCH button, and choosing the Advanced search. Then, select to search ARTICLES. You can browse in the ARTICLES section, but it's much harder to find a topic you are looking for that way. But it's a great way to stumble across things you didn't know you wanted to know!

Back
Top Bottom