Learning anew

TropicChook

In the Brooder
Oct 28, 2018
Aloha!
We had free-ranged chickens, roosters, & ducks while growing up on the mainland in the country. After 30 years of work and travel, I dreamt of living in the country again and didn't plan to own chickens before leaving the islands, but now have two! Hawaii has terrific conditions for chickens, as the feral decendants of Red Jungle Fowl and various other coop escapees populating most green spaces seem to attest :) But I didn't think I'd get chickens here. Great people, but so expensive and tiny yards. I read BYC off and on for years, mostly for coop and feed ideas, for that some day when I had more land and the time to raise them. Yet, on a whim, I saw an add for chicks, and now have two 10 week old chickens, a red star and buff orpington, temporarily housed in a covered dog kennel and I think they are wonderful! I thought this was going to be so easy, yet, they seem to be fighting dry avian pox, by the looks of the black wart-like bumps on their feet and comb. Hasn't slowed their appetite, so I am hopeful they will recover well. In the meantime, I will work on a small coop. Thank you all for all the help and insights here on BYCs!

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! We are glad you joined the flock!:welcome BYC is a helpful site providing all the information you need to know about poultry! There is always space for more members on the BYC roost!:highfive: I hope your chickens recover from avian pox. Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

Back
Top Bottom