Learning as I go along...

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Jena, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Hi to everyone,

I had signed up on BYC a few days ago, and I guess I should have introduced myself straight away, but I have been learning how things work ( I am not the brightest...lol) anyway I finally though about it tonight ( and I found out how to...), and here I am to tell you about me and my chickens, and to say thank you all for such a wonderful site.

I am Jena, and I have recently bought 4 chickens, I live in South Wales in the UK, and here these chickens are called Black Rocks. I grew up surrounded by chickens, ducks, horses and dogs, but life takes us away from these things, and I have been working 24/7 seems like forever.

Now I am 55 and taking a step back, and together with my newly found sister we are on an economy drive and life enhancement movement, so we have both built coups and runs and bought chickens. I had a playhouse which I have adapted and I built a run along with my youngest son, and my sister and her husband have built a fantastic accommodation for their 10 chickens. But as I have been introduced to this site by my son, I have found it to be a great source of knowledge and information as well as having a lovely community with fantastic people.

My chickens have not laid any eggs yet, but I am hopeful, and the days are very dull and short here right now. As soon as I have learned how I will post some pics of my girls, I am such a proud mum to them, and grateful to see I am not the only one that really loves their pets. My sons call me the Welsh Witch, because I love anything country, herbal and natural, and I am so enjoying going back to my roots.

Thank you all for the information you make available here it is awesome. What a fantastic community you all make.... :)

Jena

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    [​IMG]
    I can't wait to see your pictures! I have White, Barred, Buff and Partridge Rocks. I've heard of Black Rocks, but have never seen one.

4. country freedom

country freedom Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] We are glad you've discovered us! We are all in stages of learning, and by letting others know what we are going thru, we all learn.

5. sweetcorn

sweetcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Welcome to BYC Jena !

6. Bex

Bex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

I too am "new" to chickens. [​IMG] We had chooks early last year but that was before my fiance moved in and they were really my Mom's so it wasn't "done right". Now we're back, and doing it right this time! Do it right or not at all, I say.

Good luck, can't wait to see pics of your Black rocks!

7. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We are all learning! The first step to learning anything is to admit you don;t know everything and by golly I am willing to admit that!!!

[​IMG]

8. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    [​IMG] Hi there and welcome!!

9. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Welcome to BYC !! [​IMG] I'd love to hear more about your chickens and what kind they are. You sound like one of us! [​IMG]

10. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    Welcome to BYC I am sure you will end up with way more than 4 chickens Just wait there are so many enablerers on here Enjoy it like the rest of us Welcome Micki

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by