Learning as I Go

AthenaWins

In the Brooder
May 27, 2017
Hi everyone. I'm new here, though I have been reading quite a few of the threads here since we got our first duckling. He's a gorgeous pekin boy with a great personality. Love him to pieces. We also have two chickens, both hens, who were raised with him. They all get along other than the occasional fuss over food. 3 weeks ago I went and got another male duckling. This one is an Ancona, and I love him so much. I'll be introducing him to our Pekin once he's big enough, and that will be supervised.

So I have a couple of questions:

I'm considering adding some female ducks to the flock. I wondered if 4-6 would be enough. I understand that the drakes can be prone to going overboard on mating. And I wondered if mating season plays a role in this.

I've read a few posts in a group on Facebook about drakes killing chickens by trying to mate with them. I've never seen Sunny (the pekin) make any advances on our hens. Should I separate them? If I do, does it have to be year round or can I keep them together when it's not mating season?

Thanks so much!

Your Drake is young...Adding another Drake could be a disaster...Once they hit maturity they will fight over Hens and yes, your Chicken Hens will be targets also...consider not getting the other Drake and just get Hens..Separate the Ducks from the Chickens....:frow

Your Drake is young...Adding another Drake could be a disaster...Once they hit maturity they will fight over Hens and yes, your Chicken Hens will be targets also...consider not getting the other Drake and just get Hens..Separate the Ducks from the Chickens....:frow
I think you may have misread. I have two drakes already and no ducks.

I don't have ducks but maybe they fight because of females being present, they have to compete. I don't know though, just a thought

All Drakes can work...They do get randy and breed each other...
LOL.I don't mind that them having their fun with one another. No prude here! I will separate them from my chickens though. In that case, I'll just have an all drake flock. I might get a few more chickens though. They're great too.

Back
Top Bottom