Learning everyday--chickens are fascinating!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TheRock5Flock, May 3, 2017.

1. TheRock5Flock

TheRock5Flock Just Hatched

May 3, 2017
    Hello from west-central Georgia near the Flint River! I joined to ask some questions and get feedback. We're trying to not spoil our chicks, but finding it difficult![​IMG]We've had our chicks for @ 1 month. They're RIR's and they're growing fast--I thought my kids grew like weeds, but this is incredible! We've had 2 snake encounters. The first one we let go. They're just being snakes, after all. But the second time we found a (or the, we suspect) rat-snake in the coop with a huge bulge in its middle, we killed it and my husband fortified the pen with finer-gauge metal hardware-cloth. We'd bought the coop used and it had been built using standard chicken wire. My husband ran hardware cloth along the ground around the perimeter of the coop, and the top is also screened in. Predators will definitely have more difficulty now, though we know even these measures are no guarantee. Now we are down to eight chickens, with 1 male and 7 female (we think). I'm not much on TV, but I could set up a couch beside the pen and watch these antics for hours. I could definitely get behind on chores quickly if I let myself get mesmerized for too long.

So, anyway, here to learn from "y'all!" Blessings!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens, glad you joined the flock. Please don't tell me what the bulge was in the snake. I'll have nightmares thinking about it.

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    when your chicks are 6-8 weeks old post photos at "what breed or gender is this?" and find out what you have.

1 person likes this.
  4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under The Rock5Flock [​IMG] Welcome!

I am so sorry to hear about your loss [​IMG]

I dash around the house getting the housework done ASAP so that I can go outside and spend time with the girls. Before chickens; house was perfect, garden needed work .. With chickens; house is OK, garden is perfect [​IMG]

This is a link to the Breed & Gender Forum Diva mentioned: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

1 person likes this.
  6. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Always Thankful Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello and Welcome to BYC! Aren't chickens the best?

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by