Learning to crow.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by norcal, Jun 17, 2009.

1. norcal

norcal Songster

Apr 10, 2009
    Northern California
    I heard this godawful noise, but blew it off as the neighbors down the hill. Then heard it again, went out onto the deck to investigate and heard it a 3rd time coming from my BR rooster (the cooped one, the other is free range, as they don't get along). He is LEARNING to crow. It really was a terrible sound. I hope he gets it right. [​IMG]

Sounded like baarrarrarwoo. [​IMG]

RooRoo (Bachelor Boy) still hasn't crowed yet.

I am thinking we put the coop too close to the neighbors place, I'm not sure where his house is down the hill, but I'd say about 50 yrds maybe? [​IMG]

I do want babies that I don't have to pay for, for fryers - so I don't want to cull them. ??

2. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Songster

How old is your rooster? I have a partridge rock who is 11 weeks and no crow yet.

3. jus1jack

jus1jack Critically Endangered

Mar 30, 2009
    Orlando
    I know what you mean. I have 6 roos all learning at the same time.
    Sometimes I get 3 or 4 going off together. I cant seem to make my mind up yet as to the one I will keep...

4. norcal

norcal Songster

Apr 10, 2009
    Northern California
    Quote:Approx. 11 weeks and 2 days. [​IMG]

He sounded horrible. Hormones I guess, he's going through that awkward teenage boy voice change. [​IMG]

It's funny, but I did only hear it those 3 times.

5. wefroggy

wefroggy Songster

My roos are going on 15 weeks and still no crows, well the EF started several weeks ago, but nothing from the RIR or DE's.

6. norcal

norcal Songster

Apr 10, 2009
    Northern California
    I haven't heard anything since yesterday morning, I guess it's a slow process? [​IMG]

7. norcal

norcal Songster

Apr 10, 2009
    Northern California
    Quote:If I were you, I'd be taking notes, trying to find the quietest one. [​IMG]

8. Renee'

Renee' Songster

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    My rooster didn't start crowing until he was 5 1/2 months old.

9. bantyhen'sfriend

bantyhen'sfriend Songster

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Wisconsin
    Whooowe! Rosters learning how to crow! Mine sounds like aaAAAcuck-goo! Really nasty, like someone's trying to strangle him, or something [​IMG]! Not so with my bantam; he pretty much started off sounding OK.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: