Learning to use the Ramp, some learn quicker than others

Cybergardener

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2015
Wet side of Washington
Five of our six birds have been using the ramp for a couple of weeks now. They are 6 wks old today. One just doesn't get it. Poor "Little Red" is dumb as a box of rocks. She is the sweetest of the bunch and the runt. When all of the other birds go inside they will call to her. She will call back and then run under the ramp trying to get in, calling and calling to them. We have to pick her up and position her at the foot of the ramp, and then coax her up the ramp with treats. She won't go up by herself.

Little Red is challenged in other ways. I think her eye sight is off. Her aim for treats hits our hands more often than other birds. Our young cockerel is protective of her, defending her from other chicks and from us. But she is the nicest of the birds. Allows us to pet her and she stands on Hubby's hand like a parrot to eat treats.

Any ideas on how to help her learn?

Five of our six birds have been using the ramp for a couple of weeks now. They are 6 wks old today. One just doesn't get it. Poor "Little Red" is dumb as a box of rocks. She is the sweetest of the bunch and the runt. When all of the other birds go inside they will call to her. She will call back and then run under the ramp trying to get in, calling and calling to them. We have to pick her up and position her at the foot of the ramp, and then coax her up the ramp with treats. She won't go up by herself.

Little Red is challenged in other ways. I think her eye sight is off. Her aim for treats hits our hands more often than other birds. Our young cockerel is protective of her, defending her from other chicks and from us. But she is the nicest of the birds. Allows us to pet her and she stands on Hubby's hand like a parrot to eat treats.

Any ideas on how to help her learn?
I would just give her time. I had one Sultan hen who seemed to be very slow. I noticed after a few months she just seemed to catch up.

Patience pays off.....
smile.png

Marie

It's official... Little Red has finally figured out the ramp. WooHoo!!! Took one more guide by daddy, some calling by the others and her humans the next day, from inside the coop, but she is now able to come and go, without human intervention. I believe the "brain fairy" has finally arrived, for her. (o:

Thanks for the patience reminder 16 paws...

Last edited:
It's official... Little Red has finally figured out the ramp. WooHoo!!! Took one more guide by daddy, some calling by the others and her humans the next day, from inside the coop, but she is now able to come and go, without human intervention. I believe the "brain fairy" has finally arrived, for her. (o:

Thanks for the patience reminder 16 paws...
LOL,
I love that the 'brain fairy" has finally shown up for Little Red.
lau.gif
That is awesome.....

Enjoy your babies....
love.gif

Marie

Back
Top Bottom