1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Learning

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Newchik2016, May 17, 2016.

1. Newchik2016

Newchik2016 New Egg

Apr 30, 2016
    Hi.my name I Tracy and we got 8 Wyandotte chicks in early March, ever since we put them in the coop, its been chaos. We are Down to 4 because they would not go in at night. We now have a run for them so they can come out of the coop and roam a little, safely. My question is, when do we dare let them roam free? We do have a light in the coop. Any suggestions?

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :) Try posting in the "Managing Your Flock" section.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sounds like they were very young when you put them in the coop. If they won't go in, you have to put them on the roost or at least inside the coop and lock the door. Night time is ripe for many predators. You didn't mention how you lost some - was it was cold/illness or predator attack? If they were taken by predators, you will have to except the same if you free range them. Generally people lock the chickens in the coop for 2-3 days or so (with food and water), so they imprint on the coop being their home, and will return at dusk to the coop (if nothing has eaten them when they are outside.)

4. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - DD has given you some great advice, so i will just say hello [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by