Leashed ranging?

calicocows

Crowing
Mar 14, 2023
Virginia
Not sure if this is the correct category but to prevent excessive wandering, would it work to free range chickens on leashes (w/ harnesses) so they don’t go anywhere? This wouldn’t be a full time thing, just whenever they’re let out of the coop/run. Thoughts?

How big is the area that they would free range? Is it enclosed? How many birds do you have?

Some people do tether their roosters but they usually have some sort of shelter or are in an enclosed pen. I would be concerned that if a predator did happen by the birds wouldn't be able to escape.
I’m planning to have 3 or 4 hens, in a 5 x 6 or 6 x 6 foot run. I doubt a predator would come by with me right there, the foxes in the area are scared enough of humans that I doubt they’d go after the chickens with me a few feet away. The run will be enclosed! Leashed ranging would be outside of that in the yard

I’m planning to have 3 or 4 hens, in a 5 x 6 or 6 x 6 foot run. I doubt a predator would come by with me right there, the foxes in the area are scared enough of humans that I doubt they’d go after the chickens with me a few feet away. The run will be enclosed! Leashed ranging would be outside of that in the yard
There have been folks here have a hawk or fox try and snag a hen even if they are outside with them. If you only plan on free ranging when you are around anyways I would skip the leashes.

Never under estimate predators. I've had a hawk try to take a hen and I was 10' away, also had fox and raccoons play peek-a-boo when the birds were around me. Hunger is a powerful driving force and chances will be taken. Of course we live in a heavily wooded rural area. I've never heard of leashing chickens. Sounds like tethering a goat for the wolves. IMO not a good idea. Can you possibly give them a bigger run?

Back
Top Bottom