Leather egg question

dlp40

Chirping
Dec 1, 2015
Florence sc
I have a feb 15 born white leghorn and she has an interresting issue. She lays leather eggs from the roost at night any time i free range her. I have oyster shells at all times for my girls and the free feed on layena pellets. I don't give many treats, 6 hens and 3 handfuls of scratch evrry 2 days or so, maybe the ends of some bread, and and bugs or grass they find.

Should i worry? This has been going on since aug. Any help is appreciated,
David

It is like a rubber egg with a very light covering of calcium. It is like she wants to get rid of the egg before its done. Definitly not a lash egg. Thanks

Thanks i've actually read that artical about 4 times now
263a.png
. It has to be an imbalance she causes herself when she free ranges. The problem is i want to free range them and i cant let her
1f622.png
. Maybe she will just get 2-3 ree range days a week from now on.

So she only lays softies when she's been free ranging?
Could be a stress thing.

I'd lock em up for a couple weeks and cut out anything but layer feed and see what happens,
then add one aspect back each week following confinement starting with ranging.
Sounds drastic, but good way to pinpoint a problem is to take one thing at a time.

Last edited:
Thanks aart, already on the confinment thing. Its been about 4 weeks now due to getting them in their new coop and being out of town a bit. I will be trying to start free ranging again this weekend.

Thanks aart, already on the confinment thing. Its been about 4 weeks now due to getting them in their new coop and being out of town a bit. I will be trying to start free ranging again this weekend.

So she only lays softies when she's been free ranging?
Could be a stress thing.

I'd lock em up for a couple weeks and cut out anything but layer feed and see what happens,
then add one aspect back each week following confinement starting with ranging.
Sounds drastic, but good way to pinpoint a problem is to take one thing at a time.

Back
Top Bottom