Leave them or separate?

Jstaz

Songster
8 Years
Feb 26, 2015
South Alabama
Our 11 week old pullets have now showed us we have two roos. This morning I noticed we do have lots of feathers in the coop but idk yet if it is from fighting or not. The feathers don’t match the two Americana roos so they seem to either be either picking their girls, the Plymouth Rocks are fighting or pullets are molting feathers. I dont see any bare spots on any of them. Is it normal for the pullets to be loosing feathers already? This is our first batch of chicks we are growing. Should I separate the roos or leave them long as they are not fighting too bad?

If this is your first flock, I would start now on removing the roosters from your flock. Or creating a separate bachelor flock, with its own coop and run.

IMO roosters take experience, that you only get over time. As chicks they are the darlings and it is hard to imagine them turning on you or their flock mates, but you need a plan and an ability to do a long term separation set up and ready to go.

Mrs K

If this is your first flock, I would start now on removing the roosters from your flock. Or creating a separate bachelor flock, with its own coop and run.

IMO roosters take experience, that you only get over time. As chicks they are the darlings and it is hard to imagine them turning on you or their flock mates, but you need a plan and an ability to do a long term separation set up and ready to go.

Mrs K

:goodpost:

Our 11 week old pullets have now showed us we have two roos. This morning I noticed we do have lots of feathers in the coop but idk yet if it is from fighting or not.
I agree, a juvenile molt. They outgrow their feathers and replace them. Think how silly they would look if adult birds were wearing chick feathers.

Should I separate the roos or leave them long as they are not fighting too bad?
Purely your call. Some people for their own reasons like to separate the boys from the girls at an early age. Some try to separate the boys from each other, maybe leaving one with the girls. Personally I like to have mine grow up together, whether there are any older chickens in the flock or they are all the same age. I let their actions tell me if I need to do any separation or not. We all have different goals, facilities, and experiences, that's why you can get different opinions.

What are your goals for having chickens? Why do you want to consider keeping those two, or even one, boy? The only reason you need a rooster is if you want fertile eggs. Anything else is personal preference. Nothing wrong with personal preference, I have a few myself, but that is a want not a need. I generally suggest you keep as few boys as you can and still meet your goals. That's not because you are guaranteed problems with boys, but that the more boys you have the more likely you are to have problems. Since you did not order boys to start with it may be that your best number is zero. It is your goals that count, not mine or anyone else's.

Yours sound like they haven't hit puberty yet. When they do the boys may fight pretty viciously, they may not. The boys will probably harass the girls, forcing them to mate when they don't want to. Sometimes this isn't that bad, often it can be hard for the faint of heart to watch. This phase is when a lot of people decide they really don't want boys after all.

So the feathers are nothing to worry about, perfectly normal. As to what to do with the boys, I don't consider there to be one right answer for everyone on the planet. You have a lot of different options.

I do not keep any cockerels/Roos. I have Pullets/hens only. I see no good reason to keep a male esp when my girls are enclosed for their safety and I do not want daily fertilized eggs.
When I'm ready for more new chicks, I wait until a hen goes Broody and I get her fertilized eggs.
So keeping a Male is a personal choice that comes with raising chickens.
Remember the goal for your ladies is: 1 Male per 10 females.
If you can't provide this ratio then your doing your ladies more harm than good.
Good luck with your decision.

Why do you want to consider keeping those two, or even one, boy?

^^^ this is a very good point. And one that needs to be decided, so that you are making the decision, instead of waiting until things possibly go wrong. They can go wrong with cockerels, and the more cockerels you have, the greater the chance of it going wrong.

Often times beginning chicken people almost seem to feel that while they did not want or expect a cockerel, they got one, and therefore have to keep them. They are darling and outgoing, appearing friendly and great personality.

But do be aware, and have alternative options already set up. As Ridgerunner states (a highly respected poster here) you do not have to separate them, and often times doesn't until a problem shows up, but has the options to separate them ready to go.

With roosters, you need a plan B, and it needs to be set up and ready. A fish net with a 5 foot handle is handy for separating birds, or catching them. A dog crate, can be an alternative temporary home.

Have those at hand, and be aware that todays behavior is no indicator for tomorrows with cockerels.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom