Leaving a light on in the coop...

chickenlips

Songster
12 Years
Mar 3, 2007
Is it hard on layers to leave a light on 24/7 in the coop during winter? I was told to do that to get hens to lay more often, but I don't want to stress my hens into laying. Right now I have 22 hens and am only getting 5-6 eggs a day. Is that normal for this time of year?

There are NUMEROUS posts on here lately about light and egg production, if you use the search function you will probably find some answers. This time of the year they are molting and it WILL affect egg production.

My light is on a timer, it goes on at 4 and turns off at 9. I would think 24/7 light would stress them out. You don't need that much light to get them to lay over the winter.

Yes you are heading into the autumn moult over there and they will go off the lay for their own health, recharge some batteries .
Their energies possibly go into feather renewal.
So Id let them rejuvinate and only use a timer if you need to, otherwise do what i do and buy freerange eggs!!
a real pain I know, nothing beats our own eggs!

My Coops have dark old wood walls, even though they have windows when it is cold the doors are shut and I don't let them out side it is to dark so I turn on a 75 watt light bulb when I go out every morning and I turn it off when I go to bed at night.

:)

Back
Top Bottom