Leaving chickens for the first time

Blacka11

Chirping
Apr 12, 2021
Hi there!
I have six three week old Golden Laced Wyndottes. That might go down to five as we suspect one is a rooster and will have to be re-homed.
I have bought an Eglu coop and run (I am aware off all the controversy, yet it was the best choice for us). The first time we will leave the chickens is at the end of June for two nights . I have not gotten the automatic door for fear it would malfunction while we are gone. So, my question is- can I leave them knowing the door will be open at night? (I don’t have a chicken sitter)
I plan on putting hardware cloth around the run as I think the only serious predator we could possibly have would be raccoons or hawks. I’ve never seen them but based on being in the PNW, in an urban area that’s our top risk I think. I don’t think an attack will happen because I’ve never seen raccoons or hawks before, but better safe that sorry. Any tips for being able to leave them safely? TIA!

So they'll be about 10 weeks by the time you're going away for two nights, right? No neighbor, cousin or kid down the road able to open/close the door for you?

I would ONLY leave the door open to the coop to an enclosed run (not an outside door to free range) they won't like being literally cooped up for the few days but leaving them unattended free ranging for that long is asking for trouble (I'm not sure what door you are talking about leaving open, so just covering bases)

Does your run have a roof on it? and hardware cloth around the coop walls will make it extra secure, if you're in an urban setting you probably won't have to worry about foxes or coyotes digging under the run walls so I don't think you'd need to dig the wire down a foot, although if you want to be extra secure it's never a bad idea ;D

We never saw raccoons or possums until we lost a bird to them. Actually, we never saw them, just the carcasses they left behind. We have neighbors on all sides (suburban) but those guys are very good at living in secret, and staying out of sight, but they're kinda everywhere and it's never a bad idea to pretend they're there and prepare for them nonetheless!

So they'll be about 10 weeks by the time you're going away for two nights, right? No neighbor, cousin or kid down the road able to open/close the door for you?

I would ONLY leave the door open to the coop to an enclosed run (not an outside door to free range) they won't like being literally cooped up for the few days but leaving them unattended free ranging for that long is asking for trouble (I'm not sure what door you are talking about leaving open, so just covering bases)

Does your run have a roof on it? and hardware cloth around the coop walls will make it extra secure, if you're in an urban setting you probably won't have to worry about foxes or coyotes digging under the run walls so I don't think you'd need to dig the wire down a foot, although if you want to be extra secure it's never a bad idea ;D

We never saw raccoons or possums until we lost a bird to them. Actually, we never saw them, just the carcasses they left behind. We have neighbors on all sides (suburban) but those guys are very good at living in secret, and staying out of sight, but they're kinda everywhere and it's never a bad idea to pretend they're there and prepare for them nonetheless!
I should have specified, oops! I would only leave the coop door open to the full enclosed run, roof included. The closest friend who is willing to help is 20 minutes away so I was hoping not to inconvenience her.

I also am sure raccoons are around there even if you haven't seen them. They might not check every barrier between them and food every night, though. And they might not get through your run fence the first night or two even if they could get through it if they try hard enough. It isn't possible to know what the risk is, just that there is some risk unless your run is completely predator proof.

I also am sure raccoons are around there even if you haven't seen them. They might not check every barrier between them and food every night, though. And they might not get through your run fence the first night or two even if they could get through it if they try hard enough. It isn't possible to know what the risk is, just that there is some risk unless your run is completely predator proof.
I’m sure there are raccoons lurking around most likely. I’m hoping I’m able to just proof enough.

Road trip!

RoadTrip.JPG

Back
Top Bottom