Leaving chickens in dog crate overnight - I am having issues HELP!!

sadies chicks

Songster
8 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Northwest
I have two chickens that are being separated from the rest of the flock right now due to an injury. They are currently in my dog's run during the day and in my green room at night. I am getting to the point of not wanting to keep lugging the two back and forth every morning and night and am thinking of leaving my dog's crate in the run so I can house them there at night. I am, in my DH's opinion, overly concerned as I do not want any critters getting in and having my girls for dinner. Granted, the spaces that are open are about an inch and a half by two inches, so nothing huge can break in, but I am still paranoid about rats and smaller things. The two birds are a Brahma and her nurse, Lola the silkie.

Any thoughts? Has anyone used these for something like this before?

I am sure I am over thinking (tell me if I am, please!!!), I am just really tired of dealing with the injured (the braham), which is pushing two months now, and don't want to have to deal with more injuries.

Here is a picture of the crate, it is not exactly the correct one, but has the same slats.

thanks!!!

87534_ppets-4686677r200.jpg

Last edited:
I use them all the time, they are fine, but I would leave it in the house. Don't know easy it is to chew through or tip over...

We recently had to seperate a roo from the flock same crate but at nite we put him in the coop with everyone else , still confined but protected.

I would be very concerned about raccoons.... that doesn't look like 1/2 inch grate on front. Also, coons are very adept at opening doors of some cages. Not to mention sending cage tumbling in an attempt to get to the birds....

If your run is weasel proof then your all set. Otherwise I'd add smaller mesh to the front door of the dog crate. Weasels can easily fit through that opening.

I personaly don't keep adult or juviniles birds in the house but Have what I like to call a hospital coop/cage in the bigger main coop. they get set in there and a heavy canvas cover draped over it to protect them from the other birds, or I set the cage in the equipment area where there is plenty of room but no birds. sure you could leave it in the run but it sounds like your run isn't secure so if all your birds are at risk I wouldn't put an injured one there. I also don't deal with injuries that will take more than a few day's to correct, if it's a bad injury that requires weeks to cure then stew pot city is always my best remedy.

I did it for a LONG time with my broody and babies. Even during a really bad bout of raccoon visits they were always unscathed.
I just made sure the door was secure an then I used a THICK leather belt that I looped through the door and crate. I made the belt as tight as it could go an then tied a knot on the end. Did it for three months And I know the coons were in her pen but she was fine.

Back
Top Bottom