Leaving Eggs in Coop?

Gatordog

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 4, 2011
I stopped collecting the eggs from the Coop to see if the Hens would start sitting on the Eggs. I have 6 boxes and one box is used buy my older Red hens and I am still collecting their eggs, So that leaves me with 5 boxes, one box is empty and three have 8 to 9 eggs, and one has eggs from 2 hens and it has 14-15 eggs. The one with 14-5 eggs had a damaged egg and the ants got in. I cleaned it out and added some DE

I was wondering if the hens would sit on the eggs?

I was reading that if the boxes are to short they will not sit, is this true? and if so what is considered to short?

FYI, my hens are Reds, Golden Cockoo Marans, and Buff O's, but like I said I am still collecting the Big eggs from the Reds

I was going to leaved the eggs until i got 12 and if the hens don't sit, I would pitch the eggs. It is a waste of eggs, but just trying something new

I don't have a separate pen, but I am getting some Guineas today, and I need to build them a coop, The problem is my peeps open range and they go in the Coop on their own. I was going to see if one hen would sit once she got 12 eggs and they just pitch the other eggs, what do you think???? Stranger things have happened

Back
Top Bottom