leaving for 2 weeks! is that okay?

A couple.days is one thing but you cannot.confine.them alone for 2 weeks...even in Oregon. Frankly, I find it amazing that you would think that is acceptable...would you leave a dog unattended and locked up for that long? Hire a petsitter or sell the birds before you go. I do apologize if I have offended.you because that is not my intent but if you know no one you trust, you care about them, so make arrangements for them or you will come home to dead birds. It is cruel to leave them like that for 2 weeks.

No way can you leave them alone that long, there are some good suggestions with the FFA being a great one. Heck I'd not leave an aquarium full of fish that long without worry....

Keeping animals is a big responsibility and ya have to find someone to help you out with caring for your flock.

I worry about my chickens after being gone all day-6/7 hours. Won't you worry all the time about them? I would try really fast to make friends with a neighbor. It wouldn't be too much trouble for that person since they are already close. If you can't afford to pay someone, then maybe think of something that you can offer in exchange. Good luck. I really hope you don't leave them unchecked on for so long... I would think that you could be turned in for animal neglect.

I went to fla for 2 weeks, made my sister MOVE in here to tend to my flock and I was STILL a wreck..I couldnt sleep some nights wondering if she had to work late and didnt " tuck " the girls in... really now, WHO can go away for 2 weeks and leave any animal alone... no way..no how.. should not be done...EVER

No way. I don't leave my cats for more than 3 days w/o someone checking on them and I certainly wouldn't leave my chickens which are much more susceptible to predators. With the wacky weather we've been having and the chnace of fouled water or food and what if one of them got out or waws injured? I worry if I'm late tucking them in... I would be a nervous wreck!!!

When we make plans for vacations, if we don't have an animal caretaker -- we don't go. Lately I'm wondering if I will ever go on long vacations again -- not only do I worry about the animals, it doesn't even sound appealing to leave . . . scary! I used to be the one who liked to travel! : ) Maybe I'm going to have to forget about the Emu's -- don't think I could convince anyone to watch them. The geese are already doing their best to convince everyone that they are scary . . . even though they are pushovers if you stand up to them.

Some animal boarding facilities or vet clinics might know of reputable people to stop in and check on the chickies -- I know a LOT of people that would do it just for the eggs. A local senior center might have ads up also . . . there's usually a way to let them go in and check on things without having to let them in your house if you don't want to. Lots of places have dog walking businesses too -- possibly they would be interested in a change?

Google "petsitter" and your town - you'll find lots of nice professionals who will make housecalls for a reasonable fee. They'll feed and water, let them into the run for exercise, etc. (You'll need to give very specific instructions, if they aren't used to chickens.)

If you can't afford to have someone come in, it would be safer to sell the hens and then buy new ones when you come back.
smile.png

Last edited:
where in Oregon are you? I'd stop by if you're in my neighborhood. PM me

There is also a "professional" in my area if you would rather go that route. He is the Eugene Backyard Farmer. I think they charge $8 a day or week. I don't remember.

What they said.
tongue.png

Two weeks is just too long. You can't predict what the weather will be that far in advance. Water gets spilled or fouled, food gets rancid. Hire someone to stop by at least every second or third day. There are plenty of professional petsitters that are bonded and I'm sure you can find someone willing to deal with chickens. If they don't have experience with chickens, have them come out once before you leave so you can show them how to do everything.

I have horses, donkeys, dogs, cats and chickens and a duck, and I'm blessed to have found a wonderful petsitter who takes awesome care of everything when I travel. And still I worry.

Last edited:
Quote:
That's very nice of you.
hugs.gif
I hope OP accepts if your close enough.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom