leaving not a trace or feather

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by homemakerjulie, Feb 15, 2012.

1. homemakerjulie

homemakerjulie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    west central, MO
    We've had fox and opossums, both leave a mess, oh and a neighbor dog. What can carry off a duck and leave absolutely not one feather behind? I have searched out to about a 300 foot radius, and not a feather (more tomorrow, truck drivers wife and the kids were done with me being out 'gone' and in the 'weeds' - you'd think they would be used to the tall grass!). Whatever it was, it took 7 (killed 9, two where left) full sized ducks. We have not had any trouble at all here, we hear a lot of coyotes, and sometimes they do get pretty close, and we have heard of possible bob cats and one farmer who is pretty sure a large cat got one of his cows, but that was a few years ago. The fox was at our old place and we took care of the opossum and haven't seen any others come back. We have a german shepard who sleeps out and is a pretty good guard dog, good at barking. It happened early morning, right before the sun came up and the chickens came out, only lost two chickens. I am worry it is the german shepard, but I haven't a clue where she would put the other ducks. I have been trying to watch where she goes and where she comes from so see if she's hiding something. Just wondering if you all have any thoughts, any animals who normally take with no sign. Thanks

2. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you sure that it was taken? We had a rooster run off when we first got into the chicken business. The only reason we knew he was still around was that we could hear him crowing in the morning.

3. homemakerjulie

Mar 7, 2010
    west central, MO
    I haven't heard any ducks at all, or I would think they had run. If it wasn't for the other two that I found dead I would wonder. But also because of the two dead I do wonder if they are hiding, but I have combed over all nearby hiding places. Today I'm going further out, but I haven't heard a single quack in three days. It's raining today an my three remaining ducks are STILL hiding under the house. They LOVE the rain! Also this rain will make the rest of the snow go away so it'll be easier to see feathers.

4. homemakerjulie

Mar 7, 2010
    west central, MO
    It was our dog, I just caught her with a duck in her mouth, no wonder they were not coming out from under the house. Angry does not even begin, she is gone!

5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG] How long have you had your dog and no problems?
    Reason i am asking is my dogs find a dead bird or wild critter killed by something else they will bring it up on my porch and leave it, i later throw it on the fire and cook it for them, what i am saying is unless it is a very fresh kill your dog may have found it and brought it back if she has free range of your place, of course seems like she would have stopped anything comming onto your place unless it was another dog.

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Is a 2-legged predator a possibility?

7. terryg

terryg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    New England
  8. homemakerjulie

Mar 7, 2010
    west central, MO

I saw use catch the last one. She had eaten one of the dead birds. And today I just happenned to look out the window as she was catching the live duck. It explains why there was no barking. She wouldn't have barked at herself. She has only been out with them for about 3 weeks. She broke the dog kennel she was in when her companion dog died. I tried to fix it but she kept getting out. She was doing great, but with time she was starting to chase and lunge, should have seen it coming.

9. Sorry for your loss!

That would be one dead dog if it was mine.

10. homemakerjulie

Mar 7, 2010
    west central, MO
    I tried but I wimped out, couldn't look in her face and shoot. If my husband had been home (he's a truck driver, so I guess I need to toughen up!) she would have been dead. I am not sure what I am going to do. Thought of calling someone to take care of her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by