LED light bulbs, which, if any are best?

Annoying pedantic note: The term you are looking for appears to be color temperature, not frequency.
One persons "temperature" is another's "frequency"?
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;"

The colors of the visible light spectrum:
Color ~ Wavelength interval ~ Frequency interval
Green ~ 560–520 nm ~ 540–580 THz
Cyan ~ 520–490 nm ~ 580–610 THz
Blue ~ 490–450 nm ~ 610–670 THz
Violet ~ 450–400 nm ~ 670–750 THz

---------------------------------------------
Found this:
"In poultry, red light is vital for stimulating sexual maturity and egg production. Birds exposed to red light versus blue, green or white light consistently have higher egg production than the other color groups. Red light is able to penetrate the skull to stimulate the extra retinal photoreceptors. Red light (around 650 nm) penetrates the skull and brain (hypothalamus) four to 50 times more efficiently than blue, green and yellow-orange light. The hypothalamus is important in regulating the production of hormones important for egg production."
I don't find much of this type of detailed information on the packaging of inexpensive, locally available LED light bulbs.

Frequencies are specific, but few bulbs emit a single frequency only (LPS comes to Mind). Most light Sources emit a range of them, and are quantifyed by the "color temperature", given in kelvins.

I would recommend the 5000 K to 6000 K, based solely on it being "daylight". That, however, is a human perception. I do not know, if any one has actually studied and publisht the best color temperature for them.

From what I have read., a Red spectrum light 2700 K reduces pecking on Flock mates, while a Blue spectrum light 5000 K has a calming effect.
I use a Blue spectrum in my 3 years old Golden Comets coop, and a Red spectrum light in my 10 months old Barred Rocks coop.
My bottom of the pecking order Barred Rock has feathers missing from her head.
I vote for the calming effect of the Blue light 5000 K.
I use both outside the coops.
20181027_064754.jpg

GC

Last edited:
Hmm, have you considered installing LED strips? Some models have adjustable wattage lighting. So you can change the wattage throughout the day and they will feel less stressed. I don't have a Cooper, but my uncle does and he says it's the best option. I use led light strips for car interior and am quite happy with how they last, too. I now prefer LED strips to light bulbs if I have the opportunity to install them anywhere. When you find quality ribbons, you get lucky, but you start putting them everywhere, lol. I even have them on my bathroom shelves. I hope my tips were helpful and you solve your problem!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom