LED lights for winter use in the henhouse

I posted this on another query, this is how I do it, works extremely well, hope it helps:

There are a lot of opinions on supplementing light to keep the chickens laying during time period where there is less than 12-14 hours of available daylight. Do your research, read and learn, separate science from all the opinions.

That said,

My coop gets 16 hours of light 351 days per year.

I turn lights off for 14 days to have birds go into a controlled moult late September .

Having had to install electricity for the thermostatically controlled water heater, I took advantage and installed a lighting system.

My system has two timers. The first is set to turn the lights on at 5:30am, off at 9pm.

Power goes on, passes through a photocell, then to a 300 lumen LED bulb, 4.8 watts, in the 8x8 foot print coop, and 2 4.8 watt LEDs for the 14x14 foot print outside run.

I light the run because I found the birds huddled outside the coop door in the dark one 5:30am morning...
They have access to the run 24/7, as it is as secure as the coop.

The lights are on only when it is dark enough outside to be necessary.
The time on very closely mimics my Summer Solstice in NJ.

The second timer is set to go on at 8:30pm, off at 9:30pm, a diffused 200 lumen LED 4 watt bulb.
This low light allows the birds to settle in before all lights out and 8 hours of darkness.

This system costs less than $5 per year to operate..

There are lots of threads on here about lighting if you search. I just read through them a couple weeks ago because I was desperate for them to start laying again. Think I read that leds dont give off the proper light spectrum which has proven to benefit egglaying. 2700K-3000K light is most beneficial from what I read. I put a 10 watt 2700k cfl on a timer and worked it over a few days from coming on at 5 am down to 3am (sun up here is now 6am to 5pm) and now run it for 3 hours a day. So a month plus will only be one KWH. And of my 6 hens, 5 are laying now (1 molting) and getting 4-5 eggs a day (was averaging about 1/day with only 2 hens laying just 2 weeks ago before lighting).
There are LEDs in pretty much every range of the IR, visible and UV spectrums - you just need to buy the right ones. There are specialty lights for both aquarium and horticulture that may be of use.

Today I installed an 18' rope light.
Timer has been mastered and set for 6:30 am tomorrow.

Charlie
The 'today' in the quote would be 4 weeks and 1 day past. Yesterday, when we arrived home from our family Christmas celebration, we had a Christmas present from our girls. Two beautiful eggs!
ya.gif

I've been adding a half hour to the timer each week, am now at 4:30 am which gives the girls 12 hours of light. No light addition at sundown all in the morning.

A week after the initial 18' rope in the coop, I added another 18' rope to the line under the cage rain barrier. This second line is above the outside roost which they prefer until it is colder.

Charlie

Back
Top Bottom