LED spotlight for quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by s3agull, Dec 24, 2012.

1. s3agull

s3agull New Egg

Dec 24, 2012
    Hi,

I'm interested to raise some quails for egg production. Can anyone recommend the type of light to be used please. Is LED type good and energy efficient? I read somewhere that some people used Christmas light, would that be enough to help quail lay eggs?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC and the quail forums!

You could try solar lights. The brightest ones you can buy. I use them around the aviaries and poultry areas to scare off night time critters. They are bright enough to light a quail pen, but not so bright that they might keep the quail awake all night. (you never want to completely light the pen with bright light 24/7. Not healthy for the quail). My solar lights have been going now for 6 years and I have never replaced a battery or a light bulb. My lights are not up in the quail's faces, so I am not 100% sure this is enough light, but I do know that Christmas lights do nothing for my quail. You would need to place a light at the corner of the pen so that it is somewhat lit up at night. I would also add some leafy branches to the corne of the pen so the quail can hide a bit from the light if they need to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by