Lee/Katia = Rain = Flooding

Reyvaughn

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 10, 2011
Northeast Pennsylvania
I didn't expect 8 inches off rain in four days. I wasn't prepared and after the damage from Irene, we didn't have all the shelters and cages cleaned out for the chickens. Two of my MFCs have snotty noses and all three are shaking their heads quite a bit. I have one with a severe case of Cocci and 6 more I am watching for sickness.

Can I safely assume they have an upper respitory infection and nothing else overly serious that requires me to cull? They were soaked when I finally got their "condo" done enough for them to go in it and the cockerel was shivering. I feel so bad for them and so horrible I didn't take the precautions I needed to sooner. Just like with Irene, we were caught off guard.

thinking of you! Pretty soaked here in MD too. I cleaned out the coop today because it had gotten pretty damp and the litter was starting to smell. All I can add as far as info is keep coop as clean as possible and dry. Do you have good ventilation?

Last edited:
These three in particular were outside in a makeshift shelter that didn't keep the rain off of them like it was supposed to and I thought it would. The others are in a well ventilated shed and were allowed out if they chose to brave the weather all week. I have 4 Silkies and 2 younger mottled bantam Cochins I am watching, but so far they are fine. The MFC are my main concern with the snotty noses. There is no other drainage (eyes, ect), no diarrhea, no weakness/lethargy and they are eating well.

ETA: I have them on Duramycin-10 right now. The trio is about 27wks. I got them in June, they were in quarantine for 2 months, and still kept seperate from everyone else. Until they got soaked, they haven't had any other health issues and neither have my other birds. I haven't aquired any new birds, ect.

Last edited:
Anyone else? I read chickens don't get "colds", this is why I am asking. Just a upper respitory infection or something else? Would cold and wet cause Coryza or something else worse?

*Sigh*

I've got chickens that have never seen rain ...

Crazy world. Sorry you're having problems..
hugs.gif

So far no one else is sick. I did lose my Speckled Sussex that had the Cocci. I knew I was going to lose her when she started getting so weak should was limping badly while walking. The nasal drainage on the cockerel has lessened, but they are still shaking their heads (water in the ears? I didn't see any mites).

Back
Top Bottom