leery of letting chickens free-range

I let my chickens out of the coop at 6am and they put themselves to bed at 8:30pm like clock work. I have a few stray cats but they do not seem to bother the chickens. There are several dog walkers that walk past the house each day. Knock on wood they do not pay much mind to them. I had one walker ask if the deer attack them!

They do not go too far from the coop. I have an over grown divider between my neigbors house and mine. They found a nice little "cave" in the bush where I dumped some grass clippings years ago. It is a perfect little hang out for them.

The thing I worry the most about is the street.

Bryan

Quote:
this did not work for us! lost a barred rock yesterday to some predator. don't know what got her!

i think i know what got my barred rock. i saw a fox following the path of the tree line/thicket and went to right where the barred rocks feather's lay. the fox did this yesterday and the barred rock was killed thursday.
i never see the fox in the front of our land where this happened this is the first time. so this is why i believe this is what got the chicken.
the back of our land backs up to the national forrest and that is where i usually see the fox and the coyote!

I can completely relate to this question. I was very concerned about letting my chickens free range because of predators (including my own dog).

I decided their happiness overruled my own fears so I trained them to come when I call them "chick, chick, chick" by giving them some special food. I did that for a couple of weeks in their run.

The first thing I do is lock our dog up in the garage and let the family know he has to stay there until the chickens are put away for the night.

Then, the first time we let them free range I was out by their coop shearing llamas so we let them out since I could keep an eye on them. It was about 7:00 p.m. so I knew that they wouldn't be out real long also since they would want to go in at dusk.

Watching their joy (you could just see how excited they were) was so great we didn't get the llamas all done ... had to stand there watching the chickens!
big_smile.png
They stayed pretty close to the door of the pen that first time.

At this point I only let mine out in the evening (around 6:00 to 7:00) and I do walk to the window, or sit outside if I have the chance, to watch them. My kids also like to be out there with them so I feel better. I've watched all my barn kitties give way to them (the chickens have rushed the cats and sent several of them running away) so I feel fairly confident that they won't attack. They put themselves away every night about 8:30 now (it's gets earlier as the sun goes down sooner) and we just go out, count to make sure everyone is there and lock em in for the night.

I will be heartbroken if we lose any to predators and I do realize that it is possible that we will. But, I won't let them out all day and we keep an eye on them, somewhat, when they are out so I'm hoping that we won't go through that grief. Just watching how excited they get when I come to let them out is worth taking the risk for us. Also, we do have a Rooster that keeps a very close eye on his girls so I hope that helps.

I personally would suggest that you give it a try, under your watchful eye (even if you can only let them out for a half an hour a couple of days a week) just to give them the chance to really be chickens. But, only you can decide if your situation will work. If it doesn't, don't worry about it and just love them where they are -- and give them some special treats more often.

Good luck deciding what to do.

My quick 2 cents:

If they free range you will experience loss. - Just read the posts.

If you keep them in a coop you will experience loss. - Just read the posts.

If you have a big run for them then free ranging is not needed.

If you have a lot of predators don't free range.

Sound familiar?

Mine free range when I am home and close by. They love it and watching
them frolic around is wonderful. My dog is usually tied up nearby to
scare off predators.

If I lose a chicken I'll still free range. I can't stand to huminize animals
but I'd rather have freedom than be locked in a coop 24/7, wouldn't you?

Anyways, I respect peoples decisions on this. If you want to free range, then
do it. If your uncomfortable free ranging, then don't. We all love our chickies...
big_smile.png

we have ours out almost all the time - except at night and when we we leave the house and no one is home.

hi, i have had chickens for 3 years now freerange and have been very lucky to not have lost one, they seem much happier and have their favorate spots to take naps etc, when its evening they seem to know when its time to go into the chicken run. when we have to be away for the night, or home late we ask our neighbour whos a good sport to close the door for them! i have just discovered byc after having my ladies 3 years and so happy to know how many others out there who love their chickens as much as i do!:

Maybe I'm lucky or maybe it's the goats
big_smile.png
but I let mine free range and haven't lost one to predator in a few years. In the morning I open the coop and in the evening they go back and I shut them in.

I think if I didn't shut them in at night I would have losses, because I've smelt skunk around here and have seen coons, mostly on the side of the road though. I have lost my whole flock before, but that was more out of stupidity by forgetting to lock them away. I believe it was a fox or coyotes. And I've never lost a bird while they were in their coop. Oh and my Jap roo has no points on his comb because he roosted in a tree one night last winter. I was not happy, I paid quite a bit for him and then he goes and makes himself un-showable.
roll.png

All my neighbors have dogs, but I've never had a problem with them in my yard except for Roger, but he was old when I fist got chickens and has since been put to sleep. He never bothered the birds, poor guy could hardly walk let alone run, he'd just lay there and watch them.

It's a risk I take, I guess, but completely worth it. My birds are happy, ticks are non-existent in my back yard (the rest of the property is loaded with them :mad: ) and the coop stays "cleaner" longer and I enjoy watching them. They get mad when I don't let them out, they scare me, I fear the wrath of angry chickens! JK

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm nervous of letting mine free range unattended. We live in town, although it's a tiny one, so we don't have too many predators, but there are free-ranging dogs, and sometimes hawks & owls. We usually let ours out for about an hour in the evening, and me and DH sit near them in our lawn chairs. As they cruise the length of the house and turn the corner, we just move our chairs so we can still see them. I'm sure if the neighbors see us they think we're nuts! When it's time to go in, they usually follow me into the run; sometimes I help 'em along with some sunflower seeds or raisins. I know it's not the same as running loose all day, but they have a really big run, with lots of shade, so it will just have to do.

I am new to chickens. I just became a proud mom to 6 about 15 weeks ag0. I have thought about free ranging alot and had been letting them out in the yard when I was out there. About a week ago, I decided to let them out for most of the day, reguardless if I am in or out. I finally decided it was a better life for them. I would rather have happy healthy chickens and risk losing them, then have them spend their lives in a caged in area. I don't like zoos either!

Purple chx,it must be the water in CT..or the taxes we pay that meke us smart!lol......Freerange+chx =loss.....Coop+chx????who knows if it is not as good???Nobody knows cause were not chx,but it does=Chx that are alive......well,sometimes...besides,choli,pox,mites,lice...etc,etc....the list goes on and on......Most of all,
hmm.png
chx are a life decision,kinda like kids,but when ya lose one,dcyf isnt coming to ya door.

Back
Top Bottom