Leftover broiler pellets

SHP

Chirping
Sep 12, 2021
Hi friends!

We just finished harvesting the last of our meatbirds yesterday and have almost a bag worth of Grower pellets left.

What can we do with these to not waste them? Can they be mixed with our layer's feed over the course of the winter?

Grower pellets should be fine for the layers to eat.

Grower pellets will have less calcium than a laying hen needs, but if you have a dish of oyster shell available, each hen can eat enough of it to meet her own calcium needs regardless of how much calcium is actually in the feed.

Hi friends!

We just finished harvesting the last of our meatbirds yesterday and have almost a bag worth of Grower pellets left.

What can we do with these to not waste them? Can they be mixed with our layer's feed over the course of the winter?
Yes. One bag mixed won't hurt.

@NatJ @Kiki thank you so much! This is great news! They've got free choice oyster shells already so it'll work out great!
Not disagreeing with what was said, just pointing out that over winter they likely won't need much calcium. Grower/layer mix with OS...they'll be fine, heck, just grower + OS would be fine.

over winter they likely won't need much calcium.
That will depend on what rate they are laying eggs. If they slow down for the winter, they won't need as much calcium. But if they are first-year pullets, or have supplemental light, they might keep laying at a high rate, in which case their calcium needs would not go down.

just grower + OS would be fine.
I agree, that would be fine too. I think it would be fine at any time of year, not just in the winter.

Not disagreeing with what was said, just pointing out that over winter they likely won't need much calcium. Grower/layer mix with OS...they'll be fine, heck, just grower + OS would be fine.
Yes I feed grower and OS to my flock as I have a mix from several weeks to 5yrs and a roo. I didn't want to get a crap load of different feed stuff...

The egg shells are rock hard and the gals thriving.

Back
Top Bottom