Leftovers?

CityGirlFlock

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 31, 2014
New Jersey
Okay, I realize this may sound like a really stupid question but I've read that it's okay to feed your chickens leftovers. However, is there anything you should NOT feed them? Are there any foods that may be harmful?

I've heard they should t have salty foods and I always season my food well, so I don't ever really give my chickens leftovers...except maybe plain cooked spaghetti noodles.

Most leftovers you can feed them. But, of course, there are some foods to avoid at all costs. These include:

Alcohol

Moldy Foods

Anything Salty

Avocado-Avocado has a fatty acid in it called “persin” which sadly can be fatal to chickens and sometimes other birds.

Green Areas of Potatoes, Peels and Potato Sprouts

Leaves from Tomato, Pepper, Potato, Eggplant or Nightshade Plants

Onions

Potatoes-Surprisingly, potatoes contain solanine which causes diarrhea, heart failure and kills red blood cells. However, sweet potatoes do not contain this substance and are perfectly fine and dandy to feed to your flock. Sweet potato fries are also fine as long as they aren’t salted.

Processed Foods and Sweets

Raw, Dry Beans

Raw Peanuts and Other Nuts

Rhubarb leaves-Rhubarb leaves surprisingly contain oxalic acid which is poisonous to chickens.

Tobacco

I've heard they should t have salty foods and I always season my food well, so I don't ever really give my chickens leftovers...except maybe plain cooked spaghetti noodles.

Thank you Bawkinghen!! I read about someone making extra spaghetti just so they can give the leftovers to their chickens :D

Most leftovers you can feed them. But, of course, there are some foods to avoid at all costs. These include:

Alcohol

Moldy Foods

Anything Salty

Avocado-Avocado has a fatty acid in it called “persin” which sadly can be fatal to chickens and sometimes other birds.

Green Areas of Potatoes, Peels and Potato Sprouts

Leaves from Tomato, Pepper, Potato, Eggplant or Nightshade Plants

Onions

Potatoes-Surprisingly, potatoes contain solanine which causes diarrhea, heart failure and kills red blood cells. However, sweet potatoes do not contain this substance and are perfectly fine and dandy to feed to your flock. Sweet potato fries are also fine as long as they aren’t salted.

Processed Foods and Sweets

Raw, Dry Beans

Raw Peanuts and Other Nuts

Rhubarb leaves-Rhubarb leaves surprisingly contain oxalic acid which is poisonous to chickens.

Tobacco

THANK YOU MOUNTAIN PEEPS!!! That's a great list. I'm saving it for future reference!!
big_smile.png

Spaghetti is fun to give them too. They run around with the noodles like worms and chase each other :)

My girls' favorites are oatmeal, noodles, rice, qunioa, bread, cheese, greens, carrots, fruits, meat, (especially chicken!!) flax seeds, eggs and sweet potatoes:)

Very interesting to know. I had posted this question on another forum just a few minutes ago. What does nuts, dried fruit do to them? :( I gave them some today...oops.
idunno.gif

Very interesting to know. I had posted this question on another forum just a few minutes ago. What does nuts, dried fruit do to them? :( I gave them some today...oops.:idunno

Most nuts especially raw peanuts have a fungus called Aflatoxin. This is bad for chickens. Cooking the nuts takes out some of the fungus but not all so next time don't feed them it. Give 'em something else!;)

Back
Top Bottom