Leg bands: should I use zip ties or elastic bands?

grouse

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 29, 2010
I need to tell my chicks apart (they're about 3 weeks old at this point) and i have both colored zip ties and colored elastic chick leg bands to use.

Here are the zip ties:
http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/14-46-cable-ties/assorted-color-cable-ties-625917.aspx

And here are the elastic leg bands:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Chick-Quail-Pheasant-leg-bands-6colors-hatching-eggs-/260645724481

I'm not sure which to use, though. I'm concerned that the elastic leg bands would be too tight, not leaving as much looseness as with the zip ties. But I'm concerned that the zip ties might accidentally get tightened by one of the chicks pecking at it, even with the loose end cut off. I'm also concerned about the zip ties because they're hard plastic that could cut into their legs when they lay down on them.
So which would be a better option to use, do you think?
I know either way to check on them daily to make sure they aren't too tight and to cut them free when they start to get that way.

(P.S. I've already tried marking their legs/feathers with nontoxic sharpies but almost all traces of it come off within a day. I've also tried using velcro strips but an hour after putting them on they were already off again.)

zip ties here too.
smile.png

I get colored zip ties at Dollar tree. The elastic bands would worry me.

If you are using bands on growing birds, then be sure to check them at least weekly.

Matt

Edited to add that I use multiple bands on birds using a color system. That is how I ended with a bird named "BYG" - Blue, yellow, green

Last edited:
Different people tell them apart for different reasons. Same breed but have different names, or belong to different kids(lessons the fighting of "no, that ones MINE"). Breeders use them for various reasons, not for sale, show potential, pet quality, price differences, sex, hatch week, pedigree, etc.

Back
Top Bottom