Leg bands: should I use zip ties or elastic bands?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by grouse, Aug 9, 2010.

1. grouse

grouse Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2010
    I need to tell my chicks apart (they're about 3 weeks old at this point) and i have both colored zip ties and colored elastic chick leg bands to use.

Here are the zip ties:
    http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/14-46-cable-ties/assorted-color-cable-ties-625917.aspx

And here are the elastic leg bands:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Chick-Quail-Pheasant-leg-bands-6colors-hatching-eggs-/260645724481

I'm not sure which to use, though. I'm concerned that the elastic leg bands would be too tight, not leaving as much looseness as with the zip ties. But I'm concerned that the zip ties might accidentally get tightened by one of the chicks pecking at it, even with the loose end cut off. I'm also concerned about the zip ties because they're hard plastic that could cut into their legs when they lay down on them.
    So which would be a better option to use, do you think?
    I know either way to check on them daily to make sure they aren't too tight and to cut them free when they start to get that way.

(P.S. I've already tried marking their legs/feathers with nontoxic sharpies but almost all traces of it come off within a day. I've also tried using velcro strips but an hour after putting them on they were already off again.)

2. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

I have diferant colors of ZIP TIES that I bought off evil by . works good to me

3. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I use zip ties.

4. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

zip ties here too. [​IMG]

5. chicksbestfriend

chicksbestfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    ZIP TIES! Have never tried the elastic leg bands, but the zip ties are inexpensive and do the job. [​IMG]

6. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I get colored zip ties at Dollar tree. The elastic bands would worry me.

If you are using bands on growing birds, then be sure to check them at least weekly.

Matt

Edited to add that I use multiple bands on birds using a color system. That is how I ended with a bird named "BYG" - Blue, yellow, green

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  7. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
  8. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I got the colored spiral leg bands from cutlers. Works great.

9. gwill23

gwill23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Grangeville Idaho
    Quote:I am fairly new to all of this. Why exactly do you need to tell them apart for?

10. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
    Different people tell them apart for different reasons. Same breed but have different names, or belong to different kids(lessons the fighting of "no, that ones MINE"). Breeders use them for various reasons, not for sale, show potential, pet quality, price differences, sex, hatch week, pedigree, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by