Leg bone exposed after attack

Marcoocoo

Hatching
Oct 19, 2023
My 6-mo old chicken was attacked 3 nights ago. I believe it was a racoon as I saw one fleeing as I approached my screaming hen.
She had not cooped herself and seemed to have gotten stuck behind our shed and our fence. A coon found her at bit a chunk from her leg (lower drumstick). The tendon and bones are exposed-about 2.5 inches above the lower joint. Not the meatiest part of the bone, but the skin on this side is gone.
I’ve trimmed her feathers, cleaned her with soap & water followed by antiseptic (hibiclens) and disinfectant (betadine), then triple-A ointment and bandaged her up. I have only been above to clean her 1x/day due to work & time.
We have been keeping her in our half bath that has a window so she can hear her friends and get light. She sits in a box all day. She stands on one leg here and there plus we hold her when we can to give her underside a break. When changing her bandages, it smells, so I fear gangrene. It is not red nor warm.
I still need to get her on antibiotics.
She has been a fabulous patient, no shock initially, but subdued for abt an hour after the attack. She has been eating a privileged diet and even laid her egg the next morning. She seems content and other than injured and lame, normal.
I am concerned that her bone will die as it is exposed. I am unsure of her muscle. There is no skin. We feel it would be better to amputate, but I don’t want to spend the money on it if she will not survive anyway. I know chickens are resilient animals and recover and heal from horrendous wounds. She can move it a bit, but she doesn’t use it yet. She is adapting by using her wings. Does anyone think she has a chance to keep/use her leg? Can she survive infection? Will she adapt to one leg?

Attachments

• IMG_3124.jpeg
    IMG_3124.jpeg
    574.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3126.jpeg
    IMG_3126.jpeg
    481.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3077.jpeg
    IMG_3077.jpeg
    509.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8891.jpeg
    IMG_8891.jpeg
    571.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 71925916391__482AD334-2873-4C8F-843E-0948393D0C8B.jpeg
    71925916391__482AD334-2873-4C8F-843E-0948393D0C8B.jpeg
    508.9 KB · Views: 21
She really needs vet care with those injuries. If you would rather treat her at home, keep using the chlorhexidene and rinse it off with water, or use weak Betadine. Then Triple Antibiotic/Neosporin ointment. I would start an antibiotic for bones such as clindamycin or cephalexin which you may get from your vet or online for fish or pigeons. Amoxicillin is fairly easy to access, but the others may be better. I have no experience with such a bad injury, but chickens can recover from a loss of a leg. I would put her down at any point if she seems to be suffering.

I think you’re doing everything you should be. The only thing different I would do is to irrigate it every time you change the bandage. Put some betadine in saline, just enough to make it look like tea, if you could warm it a bit that would help too. Just a little above room temp not hot.
Just keep it clean. Changing the bandage helps to debrid the wound. I may take a few days before you notice wound improvement. Just keep doing it tho. Good luck!

My 6-mo old chicken was attacked 3 nights ago. I believe it was a racoon as I saw one fleeing as I approached my screaming hen.
She had not cooped herself and seemed to have gotten stuck behind our shed and our fence. A coon found her at bit a chunk from her leg (lower drumstick). The tendon and bones are exposed-about 2.5 inches above the lower joint. Not the meatiest part of the bone, but the skin on this side is gone.
I’ve trimmed her feathers, cleaned her with soap & water followed by antiseptic (hibiclens) and disinfectant (betadine), then triple-A ointment and bandaged her up. I have only been above to clean her 1x/day due to work & time.
We have been keeping her in our half bath that has a window so she can hear her friends and get light. She sits in a box all day. She stands on one leg here and there plus we hold her when we can to give her underside a break. When changing her bandages, it smells, so I fear gangrene. It is not red nor warm.
I still need to get her on antibiotics.
She has been a fabulous patient, no shock initially, but subdued for abt an hour after the attack. She has been eating a privileged diet and even laid her egg the next morning. She seems content and other than injured and lame, normal.
I am concerned that her bone will die as it is exposed. I am unsure of her muscle. There is no skin. We feel it would be better to amputate, but I don’t want to spend the money on it if she will not survive anyway. I know chickens are resilient animals and recover and heal from horrendous wounds. She can move it a bit, but she doesn’t use it yet. She is adapting by using her wings. Does anyone think she has a chance to keep/use her leg? Can she survive infection? Will she adapt to one leg?
What are you using for pain relief?

She really needs vet care with those injuries. If you would rather treat her at home, keep using the chlorhexidene and rinse it off with water, or use weak Betadine. Then Triple Antibiotic/Neosporin ointment. I would start an antibiotic for bones such as clindamycin or cephalexin which you may get from your vet or online for fish or pigeons. Amoxicillin is fairly easy to access, but the others may be better. I have no experience with such a bad injury, but chickens can recover from a loss of a leg. I would put her down at any point if she seems to be suffering.
I agree.

My young hen is a trooper! Today is day 8. She has such a great personality through this all…she is still fighting this wound. While she has been a great patient, she is getting harder to handle-definitely NOT impossible. She eats and drinks wonderfully!
Her wound was smelling quite bad this last weekend (5 days post attack)…assumed infection or worse. Gave her a full bath in antiseptic cleanser after a second dose of hydrogen-peroxide in an effort to kill anything. We applied triple-A plus RX antibiotic cream and wrapped her up. Also got some RX oral drops of antibiotic. She is doing much better and not smelly.
She has started using her foot knuckles as a stub to walk on. When we give her some fresh air and have her socialize with the others, she moves around here and there as far as 10 feet!
Her wound looks better but I am concerned for how it will heal…will it scar over enough or remain open? A good amount of skin is gone.
We keep her inside with the window open for fresh air and so she can hear her mates…
Any suggestions as to the wound healing?

Attachments

• IMG_8924.jpeg
    IMG_8924.jpeg
    465.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8926.jpeg
    IMG_8926.jpeg
    533.5 KB · Views: 8
My young hen is a trooper! She has such a great personality through this all…she is still fighting this wound. While she has been a great patient, she is getting harder to handle-definitely NOT impossible. Her wound was smelling quite bad this last weekend (5 days post attack)…assumed infection or worse. Gave her a full bath in antiseptic cleanser after a second dose of hydrogen-peroxide in an effort to kill anything. We applied triple-A plus antibiotic cream and wrapped her up. Also got some oral drops of antibiotic.

Back
Top Bottom