Leg Color on Chicks

TommyVT05

Songster
11 Years
Feb 6, 2008
Southern California
Hello All,

Just curious, all the chicks I have right now have yellow legs with slight dark tint to them. However, their parents have slate and blue legs and none of my birds have yellow legs, so the color on the legs of chicks don't come in yet huh?

Does anybody know why the leg color starts to appear and become permanent?

Thank You

- Tommy

If you are talking about ameraucanas, then the wheaten, blue wheaten, and buffs usually hatch with light colored legs.

They legs will darken as the chick gets older. Some of the birds in those varieties still have problems with very light or pinkish tones in the legs.

Yeah, I was hoping it would change
big_smile.png

Reason being, out of the 18 chicks, 4 are given to me by a friend that had chicks hatch only days before mines and her's is PURE Vietnamese Jungle Fowl.

She had hers over 8+ years and never gotten other colored legs other than gray/blue. Since they have never been outcrossed, its sort of impossible to get yellow legs...but the leg is starting to get darker...

So, that how it goes huh?

I can't find pictures of day old chicks with blue/gray legs are days olds...so I guess that color comes in later in their life yeah? Hahah

- Tommy

Back
Top Bottom