leg color

Basically the black shanks are dominant.
......there are two layers of skin on the shanks,the dermis (inner layer) & the epidermis (outer layer). Various combination of genes give a variety of colours. The main genes involved are the gene at the e-locus, presence or lack of the white skin gene & a gene called Id (which stands for inhibitor of dermal melanin).

A bird which is extended black (E) at the e-locus, does not carry the (sex linked) Id gene but does carry the white skin gene (W+) will have black shanks with white soles of feet. If it does not have the white skin gene its feet will have yellow soles.

A bird which has the more recessive alleles at the e-locus, does not carry Id, & does not carry the white skin gene will have willow coloured legs.

I see,

I have 10 silver campine chicks. Some have the green, a few yellowish, At least one has what appears to be slate legs.
I have heard of campines with slate/ gray legs but never had one before.
If I breed to slate legged campines what would be the outcome?

Is slate or blue the desirable colour?
If so it sounds like the white skin gene has been lost. If this is the case you would need to use the bird with slate legs. As white skin is dominant it is not possible to say whether the bird with slate legs is homozygous for white skin. If bred with the willow legged birds at least some of the offspring would have blue legs.

Quote:
Yes, Leaden blue/ slate, green is undesirable. I have been thinking of trying a mix of black ameraucana(APA) standard and this campine chick. I wonder what I'll get? I know a mutt, however a few generation on I could get a barred ameraucana, hopefully not with white ears.

I've never done anything with Campines but have seen them at shows. I know they have autosomal barring pattern which is a result of genes at more than one locus though they are on the same chromosome. To look at the various feather colour combinations you could look on Henk's Chicken Calculator.
http://home.hetnet.nl/~h.meijers69/kruisingCO.html
I've started it off. I didn't know the sex of the birds involved; it is easy to change
smile.png

Don't the Ameraucanas have yellow soles of feet? (Sorry, I know even less about these birds). If so that wouldn't help the leg colour.

What is making the shank colour green in the birds with undesirable leg colour is the lack of the white skin gene.

Last edited:
Ameraucanas have white skin so your theory would work as long as you do not mate two birds carrying the recessive yellow skin gene.

I do not know all the "genetic specifics", but to my knowlege you cannot produce a barred bird with slate legs. The legs will be white with some dark color on the dermis, not slate.

White ear lobes are hard to get rid of also.

I do not know all the "genetic specifics", but to my knowlege you cannot produce a barred bird with slate legs.

Different barring. The barring to which you refer is sex linked barring which inhibits eumelanin in the shanks. Campines are a different kind of barring called autosomal barring which involves pattern gene & dark brown columbian genes.
smile.png

Last edited:
pips&peeps :

Ameraucanas have white skin so your theory would work as long as you do not mate two birds carrying the recessive yellow skin gene.

I do not know all the "genetic specifics", but to my knowlege you cannot produce a barred bird with slate legs. The legs will be white with some dark color on the dermis, not slate.

White ear lobes are hard to get rid of also.

I believe your thinking of Barred Rock, Dominques, or Cuckoo Marans. Their Sex linked barring. They have been tried and they failed because of it. Now the white ear lobes could be the trouble. Strange the Brittish Araucana club have or had Cuckoo or barred Araucanas. I tried to locate some but they can't ship to us because of complications and mortality rates. Even if they could 2 Varieties are now extinct in Great Britian one is the Barred ( cuckoo).
I recieved a formula to create them but who knows if it will work with our birds!​

Krys109uk,

I wonder if the campine ear would cause a very bad problem?

Back
Top Bottom