Leg feathering (or leg stubs) in a clean legged breed

chickenmomma16

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 16, 2012
Buckley, Washington
I recently found out a few of my birds have leg stubs. Is this something that if I culled all the birds with leg stubs I will rid myself of the stubs or is it something that will float around in the genetic background and pop up here and there? These stubs are SO tiny! But definitely there.

Hopefully someone with more experience will join in, but i think leg feathering is dominant which means if it's there it should show up rather than hiding repressively.
Sounds like you are right :thumbsup
There was surprisingly little information on it when I googled it. But I did come across this:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/breeding-out-feather-legs.427479/

What’s frustrating is the leg stubs I’m dealing with are teeny tiny! I missed it last year when picking breeders. It’s in about 1/3 of my birds now!:barnie

Attachments

• BB389FAF-021B-4280-B2EC-FC4589231350.jpeg
    BB389FAF-021B-4280-B2EC-FC4589231350.jpeg
    403.3 KB · Views: 35
Feather stubs are recessive, unlike feathered legs, so the only way you can remove them from your bloodlines is by test breeding the ones with stubs to those without. If they’re offspring have stubs, they carry it. If not you can use them for breeding.
However, stubs are so small and it can be frustrating and probably not worthwhile to cull for such a trifle thing.
Often stubs are the last thing people look for. While they are a disqualification, they can be removed. ;)

Feather stubs are recessive, unlike feathered legs, so the only way you can remove them from your bloodlines is by test breeding the ones with stubs to those without. If they’re offspring have stubs, they carry it. If not you can use them for breeding.
However, stubs are so small and it can be frustrating and probably not worthwhile to cull for such a trifle thing.
Often stubs are the last thing people look for. While they are a disqualification, they can be removed. ;)
Well, that’s helpful! So stubs and feathered shanks are different. That’s too bad they are difficult to remove. I’ll just try to lessen it I guess. They are so small that you have to squint to see them. I guess I’ll put that at the bottom of the rust of things to cull for.

Well, that’s helpful! So stubs and feathered shanks are different. That’s too bad they are difficult to remove. I’ll just try to lessen it I guess. They are so small that you have to squint to see them. I guess I’ll put that at the bottom of the rust of things to cull for.
Yeah, I would recommend using at least one per pair without so there is a fall back though.

Back
Top Bottom