Leg/foot injury

JillD413

Songster
Oct 7, 2019
Georgia
My 18 week old pullet managed to get her leg hung in the arm of a garden chair. She was hanging upside down when I got home. I was gone for about an hour and a half. When I freed her she could barely walk on the leg that was hung. It does not feel like any bone was broken. She is isolated with food and water. Epsom soak? Leave her alone to heal? Work her leg and foot as therapy? Suggestions please.

Attachments

• 91F45B43-A16C-4925-A38D-4B443900245E.jpeg
    91F45B43-A16C-4925-A38D-4B443900245E.jpeg
    377.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 1CE25933-C96D-4B9E-9330-0FC1D392E05F.jpeg
    1CE25933-C96D-4B9E-9330-0FC1D392E05F.jpeg
    558.4 KB · Views: 15
Hey there looks pretty sore old addage what can happen will do not blame yourself ... May try splint but my thought would be go with soothing motions to get blood to all of the leg ..
If you think to splint a popcycle stick make strips of vet wrap can buy at all feed stores but do not get it real tight for now let her do as you have been

Hey there looks pretty sore old addage what can happen will do not blame yourself ... May try splint but my thought would be go with soothing motions to get blood to all of the leg ..
If you think to splint a popcycle stick make strips of vet wrap can buy at all feed stores but do not get it real tight for now let her do as you have been
Thanks! I think I will go with lifting her up a few times a day and moving her leg to help work the bruising out and keep the range of motion. The more I think of the Epsom soak the less I think it would help. Warm water would open blood vessels (that’s in my head) which would be counter productive. I appreciate you taking time to give me feedback. 😉🥰✅

I think your on the right track there understand may come time she will loose it
or her that choice is a time from now but can be worst case ..
Sorry had to say both

I just checked on her again. She is standing up getting water. I will keep her quarantined tonight so she doesn’t have to jump up or down getting on or off the perch. I hope I am not speaking too soon but I think she will be okay. 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

have you thought maybe a step up to roost she she does not have to fly but can step
Thanks for the recommendation. She seems to have settled in a nice fluffy corner of clean flakes. I hope she can get out and forage by tomorrow morning. She did stand up and get water just a few minutes ago. 🥰

Back
Top Bottom