Leg/hip injury??

whittleah

Chirping
Mar 3, 2022
I have a young Wyandotte that has been limping for two days. I’ve inspected her legs and feet closely and can’t find any visible injuries. It seems to be getting worse. She’s eating great, seems healthy, and still hobbles around the property with the rest of the flock, but just can’t put weight on her left leg. What should I do?? What could it be?

What are you feeding them? It could be a sprain. Could you delay her and the rest of the flock free ranging until noon?
I’m feeding them scratch-n-peck’s organic layer feed. She’s currently roosting in the co-op with the rest of the flock, but I’m going to grab her in the morning and put her in a dog crate for a few days.
What are you feeding them? It could be a sprain. Could you delay her and the rest of the flock free ranging until noon?

I have a young Wyandotte that has been limping for two days. I’ve inspected her legs and feet closely and can’t find any visible injuries. It seems to be getting worse. She’s eating great, seems healthy, and still hobbles around the property with the rest of the flock, but just can’t put weight on her left leg. What should I do?? What could it be?

I’m feeding them scratch-n-peck’s organic layer feed. She’s currently roosting in the co-op with the rest of the flock, but I’m going to grab her in the morning and put her in a dog crate for a few days.
How old is she?
Has she come into lay yet?

Photos of her and her poop?
Video of her actions? For video, upload to youtube and provide a link.

Is the feed pellets or the loose type? If the loose type, then soaking it may be helpful since a lot of birds pick out their favorite thing and leave the rest. This can cause some nutritional imbalances. You can try soaking the feed to see if this encourages her to eat all of it.

For limping, I'd give her 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. Hopefully it's just a sprain or can be corrected with vitamin therapy instead of this being an indication of disease like Marek's.

How old is she?

Is the feed pellets or the loose type? If the loose type, then soaking it may be helpful since a lot of birds pick out their favorite thing and leave the rest. This can cause some nutritional imbalances. You can try soaking the feed to see if this encourages her to eat all of it.

For limping, I'd give her 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. Hopefully it's just a sprain or can be corrected with vitamin therapy instead of this being an indication of disease like Marek's.
My chickens have all been vaccinated, so it shouldn’t be Mareks. Their food is loose. It’s whole grains with added vitamins and minerals. Shes 15 weeks old so She’s not laying yet. I just started adding a bit of layer feed into their grower to start transitioning. But the limping started before the feed change, so it shouldn’t be that. I’ll get a video and photos of her poop tomorrow.

Looks forward to the video.

Fwiw -
The Marek's vaccine may help limit the formation of tumors, it does not prevent infection from the virus, so Marek's is possibility.

How old is she?

How old is she?

Here are photos of her and her poop. She is very lively and fiesty and very excited about breakfast. Her feces look pretty normal. I haven’t been able to get a video of her walking yet. She’s still fast and not happy about the crate so I didn’t want her to run off into the woods. She stands on the affected leg, just doesn’t want to put pressure on it to walk.

Attachments

• 4E7072B6-B36A-4194-8F32-25B5DF5D521D.jpeg
    4E7072B6-B36A-4194-8F32-25B5DF5D521D.jpeg
    585.7 KB · Views: 10
  • CD55F1D0-EF5D-4731-A974-E11A52FB87C8.jpeg
    CD55F1D0-EF5D-4731-A974-E11A52FB87C8.jpeg
    582.4 KB · Views: 8
  • E5B7F78D-ABC9-457D-8923-160A25A1A8E6.jpeg
    E5B7F78D-ABC9-457D-8923-160A25A1A8E6.jpeg
    708.4 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom