Leg Injury, can chickens say ouch

Yowie

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2020
Sydney Australia
One of our Wyandotte bantams has injured herself on the right hand side . She is 24 weeks old and not yet laid.The indicators of the injury are, when walking she extends the leg forward to fullest and raises to mid height, slowly lowers the leg and rests the foot on the ground with minimal weight applied. When stationary she will take pressure off by raising the foot and soon sit to graze. if startled she will run without impediment. I have laid her back down on my lap and gently felt through the leg flexing each joint from foot to hip without any reaction from her. I have also inspected the foot sole and nails for damage or thorns or splinters. There are none. This is the second daylight hours in play. Any advice or suggestions are very welcome

Last edited:
Thanks Dottie, I could not see any swelling and I will certainly give her a warm bath. Will let you know if any improvement following.

Also on the bath comment, if it stresses the chicken out and causes her to flail and possibly escape it could injur her further so I would not recommend it, chickens do not like water.

It's strange that she favors her foot so much, but has no obvious cause of it. As said before, it might be just a strain.

Side note: I have a chicken who has a strange strut without any problems (that I am aware of). One day she just started to walk by raising one leg higher than the other and has done it since. She gets around just fine, but looks funny doing so😅. I hope your chicken gets better though!

I have now read a little on bathing and in the absence of swelling I will hold the bath. If swelling does eventuate to lower level of the leg, perhaps I can try a very careful immersion. Maybe a week of wait and see will bring improvement or ?? I have lowered the highest rest level so she is not straining reach a perch.

Last edited:
Almost 4 weeks since the injury occurred and little or no improvement, eating and drinking is normal. Short video of her walking. Perhaps will help offering us advice. The step you see is repeated in most walking movements

Attachments

• Walking hen zip.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 19

Back
Top Bottom