Leg paralysis in hen-sudden onset

I would suspect mycotoxins (in combination with possible deficiency in diet) .... here below from link above:

"Mycotoxicosis
It is known that certain strains of fungi (molds) growing in feed or feed ingredients can produce toxins that, when eaten by man or animals, can cause a very lethal disease called mycotoxicosis. The toxins produced by these fungi are very toxic and rivals the botulism toxin for toxicity.
Mycotoxicosis is caused by ingestion of toxic substances produced by molds growing on feed, feed ingredients and possibly litter. Several types of fungi produce toxins that may cause problems in poultry, but of primary concern are substances produced by the Aspergillus flavus fungi and are thus called aflatoxins. Aspergillus flavus is a common mold that grows on many substances, and grows especially well on grain and nuts. Several other fungi also produce toxins that cause the disease.

The aflatoxins include four closely related metabolites of A. flavus known as B1, B2, G and G2. The B1 toxin is the most toxic and is of greatest concern to the poultry industry.

Mold toxins cause a wide variety of signs, many difficult to recognize. The aflatoxins under certain conditions cause death, reduced growth, reduced egg production, reduced hatchability, signs associated with "physiological stress" and impaired ability to develop immunity to infectious agents. Diagnosis is difficult because characteristic lesions usually are not present, and detection of the toxin is not conclusive.

Molds are widespread in nature. Standing grains and other feed substances are frequently infected with toxin-producing molds prior to harvest. The key is proper storage to control moisture and temperature to reduce growth of the molds while in storage. Although the mold is present, it cannot produce toxic products unless allowed to grow freely. Aflatoxins in feeds can be detected by chemical tests. Once the toxin is produced there is no known method for removing it from the feed or cancelling its harmful effects. Providing a diet containing high fat and high protein levels and augmenting the ration with vitamin supplements may be of value."

...have a good look around for spilled grains (remove them) and review your current sack of scratch. Your laying birds will need access to a layer ration and not scratch.

Hi Im Nikkians Im new! Im having similar problems with mw fav roo too. He is a rescued fighting chicken I've had him over a year and about a month ago he started hopping on 1 foot and all of a sudden 6 days ago he cannot get up at all. He eats great, drinks, crows, but cant get up! We cant figure out whats wrong, and wonder if he needs put down- any advice!! Thanks

I noticed my 7 month barred rock had a bit of a limp about a week ago and I tried to prevent her from straining herself by not letting her roam the garden. Two days ago I decided to just let her roam as she wasn't improving. This morning I went to lift her out of the henhouse so she wouldn't hurt herself coming down the ramp and she can't seem to stand... just pulls herself along and flaps her wings. She eats layer feed and also organic chard or spinach with eggshells. If anyone could help me fix her I would be ever grateful. I love her so much.
smile.png

With sudden paralysis I would suspect a toxin rather than mareks. With a gradual paralysis, mareks. Injury is always something to be ruled out. If holding her seemed to hurt, you need to check that out. If a bird won't stand on a foot, check the footpads.

I have moved her inside so that I can watch her better. I have laid her on her back and massaged her legs and feet and she didn't appear to feel pain. She moved her feet and legs quite easily in this position until I sat her down and then she could not stand. There are no cuts or sore visable. Her poop is solid. I read online to feed her this:
2 to 4 tablespoons of layer pellets
2 tablespoons of yoghurt... not the sweet one with fruit in it .. the one with the active bacillus
2 tablespoons of grated apples and carrots.. must be grated not cut into chunks
1 small teaspoon of honey
1 boiled egg.. using only the yolk... crumble this into the mix

and she readily ate it. I am very worried about her. I am praying someone here can help me because she is my daughters chicken and she would be devastated if something happened to her. If anyone could help I would appreciate it very, very much!

This is a photo of Chiclet
42727_chicklet.jpg

We're having a similar problem. One of our 7-month-old New Hampshire Red hens was moving slowly two days ago. Last night I found her squatting, unable to move. Neither of her legs looked very reactive, but one was more paralyzed than the other. We isolated her and this morning both legs look equally paralyzed, bent underneath her with the two big toes stuck together, like when your hand loses circulation and the fingers stick together. I can't tell that she's eating or drinking (the food and water are right next to her). Her poop is green and runny.

I'm hoping this is a nutrition problem because we changed feed a few weeks ago and noticed that all the birds were eating more, but laying less. We just switched back to the old feed, so hopefully that solves her problem - fingers crossed!

I'm having the same problem with my Bard Rock. She got sick about a month ago and had a hard time moving around much. Her poop was very runny for a while. I decided to try chlortetracycline antibiotic. After that her poop turned very hard and she seemed constipated, but none of the other symptoms seemed to be going away. I did my best to help her get regular (warm bath in the kitchen sink, plain yogurt, shredded greens, etc) She doesn't seem to be constipated anymore, but she also is eating as far as I can tell. Just the other day I noticed that she had one of her legs curled up in a fist. She tries to walk on it but is not doing well. Most of the time she just stayes in the same place closing her eyes. I have no idea what to do now. This morning she is laying down instead of sitting. I fear she is almost gone and I feel helpless about it. I'm also worried that this will spread to my other 20 chickens. She is separated and has been since she got sick. Is there anything that I can do? Help please.

I have the same problem with my 3 month old chick. I called around to find stuff such as electrolytes to help her and the woman at the supply store said that is sounds like my chick may be getting to much protein which could cause a paralysis. She recommended isolating her in a laundry basket and not feeding her for 24 hours and giving her water mixed with antibiotics and electrolytes for 24 hours. I pray this works. I will let you know the results.

Hi everyone! To all of you that are still have problems with your chickens, it sounds like a Vitamin B deficiency to me. I have had the same problem with 2 of my Welsummers & I gave them lots of crushed vit. B in their food & water for about a week or so & they are both perfectly fine now! There is a great thread some where here on BYC about vit B deficiency, if you just do a search, I am sure you will find it. I now add vit B to all of my chicken's water about once a month just to prevent problems.
Good luck & hope everybody gets to feeling better!

I didnt give Buffy food for about 18 hours, then I decided I would just limit her food strictly to her eating 3 times a day for about 5-10 minutes or until she becomes uninterested in the food! I have her separated in her own box and have been dipping her beak into some medicine water I mixed up for her every few hours or so! The water mix is mixed from a vitamin and electrolyte mix I got from the feed store and an antibiotic mix added to it. GOOD NEWS IS... SHE STOOD YESTERDAY FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 3 DAYS!!! YAY!

She has been standing on and off today and yesterday she was standing pretty steadily for over 5 minutes! HUGE IMPROVEMENT I THINK! I pray she continues to improve! I will keep you updated on her status!

Back
Top Bottom