Leg problem in coturnix

Discussion in 'Quail' started by nikirushka, Sep 18, 2016.

1. nikirushka

nikirushka Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2014
    One of my hens has developed this problem:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Both hocks are twice the size they should be, hard, and inflexible. Her legs area little pink as well as you can see, but not hot. She can walk but not very well as she can't move her toes properly either - she stands on her own feet sometimes.

She does get around though, and eats and drinks, although this is reduced at the moment as she's also gone broody! Leg problem came first I think but, I'm not 100% sure as I'm not sure exactly when she started sitting on eggs. A week or so since she started stumbling so it's not been going on long.

I've had her to the vets but they weren't much more clued up than me - first suggestion was an accumulation of salt in the hocks, with no cure. I queried possible deficiencies so he pootled off and did a quick bit of research and came back with the same possibility, but no indications as to anything specific.

I have her on a poultry tonic in her water, and I've started her on EMP food to boost her vits and mins a bit, with her regular food mixed in (chick crumb but I'll be switching all of them onto a decent game pellet soon, now I've found one).

She's the only affected bird in a group of 8 (2 roos, 6 hens). I have her separate now as one of my males is a bully, with not being able to run away she's been pecked at quite a bit and with being broody too, she was getting distressed with the others trampling her nest so solo was the best thing for her.

Besides the chick crumb they have a small sprinkling of dried mealworms and seed each day, and crushed oyster shell. I have been lax with the oyster shell of late which is why I wondered about a deficiency but with only her affected, I don't know how accurate that is. They have plenty now, in any case.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be?

2. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by