Leg Problem with my broad breasted white

rdl

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 24, 2009
One of my three-week-old broad breasted white turkeys has stopped walking on one of his legs. He holds the leg in the air and hops on the other. It looks as though he can't even stretch out the toes of the foot in order to stand on it. He has been doing this for about a week. He still eats and drinks, but mostly lies in the grass. What could be causing this problem? There is no sign of injury to his leg. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help. It doesn't appear to be straddle leg, though. And there is no visible problem with the leg. It was hoping that it would correct itself, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

I have one legged chickens that do fine. One rooster with some fighting blood can kick butt too. But I wouldn't think a BB turkey with some weight on him will do good.

check and grab him leg. see of its cold, or he can flex his toes around your finger your something. if he can bend and use his toes. I had a turkey with a dislocated leg before, just happened over night.

We had two hens with similiar problems this year. They got progressively worse so we butchered them. As the turkey gets heavier it's other leg won't be able to support its weight and it will injure the other leg trying to hop on it.

Back
Top Bottom