Leg problems

DebiC215

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 7, 2017
Hondo, Texas
Been searching and cannot find info. I have a month old silkie that was born with last two toes turned under which made her limp. Had a vet tech wrap foot so that it was flat but it did not help - only seemed to make her fall over more. Tried in growup pen with same age chicks. Was fine at first but then they started running over her. Brought her back inside and she is not improving. right leg splays all the way out straight. She cannot walk at all, just goes in circles. Eats and drinks fine. Giving her scrambled eggs, with baby vit w/o iron, and vit B, for last three weeks. I have had this happen with hens before but not chicks. Have taken the hens to the vet with no luck. I fed the hens for about two months with no improvements and then they stopped eating. I also tried wrapping ankles together with hair bands (just kept slipping up to her ankles). Has anyone had luck correcting this? She is such a lovely, big eyed beauty I hate giving up but don't want her suffering.

We felt that she was having trouble walking because the fifth toe was curled under really bad on both feet. We tried to correct but could not, then we noticed the legs were splaying out and it kept getting worse. Now I have vet wrap around her ankles like and at least she is keeping them under her. She can't walk but manages to eat and drink okay. I am watching her constantly as she fell in the water the first day - not deep enough to drown but got her soaked.

Back
Top Bottom