1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Leg Scales Different Based on Weather?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by my sunwolf, Dec 30, 2012.

1. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

I have never had chickens in the winter.

During the spring and summer, their legs had smooth scales, almost glossy looking.

When the cold winter weather (freezing and below) started, their scales slowly became rougher and dull. I thought that maybe they had scaly leg mites, but when I posted pictures no one else seemed to think so.

I have some winter chicks in the shed, and even their legs look dry.

I know that my skin gets dry in the winter, I just never really thought that it could happen to my chickens.

Questions:

• Has anyone else noticed that this happens??

• Do you think it's truly the seasonal changes?

2. TehLizardKing

TehLizardKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2012
    Lincolnshire
    Hey SunWolf....

I've noticed that too, and I wondered what it was. But it was obviously not scaly leg, and the birds didn't seem in any discomfort, So I just assumed it was to do with the winter moult. btw It happened to my Coturnix quail too.

Can anyone else help?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  3. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Can you post a picture of what the legs look like now??? I live in southern California so have not experience the very cold weather....

4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Mine get dry legs in the winter too. I put vaseline on their legs and it really helps. I also saw that when they get dry they crack and bleed which isn't good.

5. my sunwolf

Ooh yeah, pictures would help. I might have some of the hens, and I'll have to take some of the chicks in the sunlight tomorrow. I'm glad I'm not the only one whose chickens' legs get scaly in the winter [​IMG]

6. my sunwolf

Okay, some pictures.

This first one is of our hens, just after a vaseline treatment for what I thought was scaly leg:
    [​IMG]

This second one is of one of my (MALE) Easter Egger chicks with legs that are "rougher" and drier than any I've seen on a chick before--of course, I've never raised them in the winter, so that might explain it.
    [​IMG]

Any of these photos that look really troubling??

7. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    They look ok to me.

8. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Somtimes chickens slowly loose and grow in scales here and there. The pictures really don't look concerning. If the scales were raised with "gunk", I'd be concerned. If you look up pictures of chickens with scaly leg mites on Google, it looks much different.

9. my sunwolf

Thank you, very helpful!! [​IMG] Though I must have some attention to detail problem, as I can't figure out the line between normal and scaly [​IMG] Guess I'll have to keep practicing.

So looks like chickens, like us, get dry skin... kind of adorable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by