Legality?

theguy67

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 23, 2010
I eventually would like to sell my chicks locally or online to even other states. This would be done small scale of course with probably 6-8 hens laying. I would also like to sell the fresh eggs to healthfood stores and other small grocery stores if possible.

Is there any legal issues I need to worry about locally and selling state to state? I know it may vary from each state but I would like your thoughts on it. And where dose one go to find their states laws on such a thing?
I am from Texas btw.

most states other then Texas do not want you to ship to them unless you participate in npip and are certifeied AI clean . you really need to check in with your state vet or your dept of Ag

In illinois they are livestock & can be sold any time.

I did however have my craigslist posting flagged & removed last week. Still not sure why - they are not pets. Anyway - not an issue here.

I am in the same boat as you, except I'm from CA.

I can't find any info on selling out of state so I'll probably just end selling everything locally.

Sorry, I kinda posted in the wrong spot, I didnt think this one was still up, I reposted in the other thread about laws and legal issues.

Well seems like hatching eggs maybe are the way to go. Many sell on ebay and and eggbid. One guy broke down the math and showed you can make 2000 to 3000 for a dozen birds laying hatching eggs vs selling just eggs at 200 or 300 for the same amount of birds per year to people plus its all done on the net. Of course some rarer breeds are real popular and you get a roo with a blue ribbon well hey you know.

But i assume there is somthing involved with even selling the eggs. Some sort of permit or declearation of health.

Back
Top Bottom