Legbar sexing questions

Dec 17, 2017
North Carolina
I ordered some legbar hatching eggs does anyone know much about them?

The male is the one with the white dot on its head right?

Are they sweet chickens?

I've heard they lay 200 eggs on average each year is that accurate?

Thanks everyone!:celebrate

Oh yes, my favorite breed. They have a very cool history and cool genetics. I'm actually making a presentation about the breed right now for 4-H. I'll post it here when I'm done.

First, let me answer your question:
Yes, males can have white dots on their heads but it depends on the "strain"/the hatchery. Always, males are way lighter/washed out than the females, the female chicks having a very distant chipmunk pattern. If you are unsure, when they are chicks, you'll definitely know when they are fully feathered. Cockerels are like gray Barred Rocks.
legbar-chicks.jpg

female vs. male

They are sweet chickens, but a bit flighty due to having Leghorn in their makeup.
I've heard anywhere from 180-200, depending on the strain, is what they lay in their first year. Mine is pretty good and is giving me 3-4 eggs a week.
One thing, Legbars can lay either blue or green eggs (in the UK some even lay olive colored).

Oh yes, my favorite breed. They have a very cool history and cool genetics. I'm actually making a presentation about the breed right now for 4-H. I'll post it here when I'm done.

First, let me answer your question:
Yes, males can have white dots on their heads but it depends on the "strain"/the hatchery. Always, males are way lighter/washed out than the females, the female chicks having a very distant chipmunk pattern.

They are sweet chickens, but a bit flighty due to having Leghorn in their makeup.
I've heard anywhere from 180-200, depending on the strain, is what they lay in their first year. Mine is pretty good and is giving me 3-4 eggs a week.
One thing, Legbars can lay either blue or green eggs (in the UK some even lay olive colored).
thanks so much that helped so much I never would have known that if it wasn't for you! Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom