Leghorn Broody!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Krodsorin, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Krodsorin

Krodsorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2009
    NSW Australia
    Jeez, she has only just started laying, my bantam blue leghorn pullet,
    she sits on the nest all day, she still lays, but she stays their all day, and sleeps their too,
    and makes the loud screeching noises when i try to take her eggs, i dont really want her to be broody
    because i want her laying.

2. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    What a rare thing to hear [​IMG]

3. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Broodies will continue to lay for a couple of days after they start sitting. Mine do anyway.

I never heard of a broody leghorn. Then again, I never heard of a Blue Leghorn. Some of my Blue Andalusians have gone broody before.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Are you sure she is the one laying eggs? Other hens like to lay in a broody's nest, either crowding in with her or hopping in when she is on her daily constitutional. They are living things and anything is possible, but a broody hen should not be laying.

If you want to break her, put her in a wire-bottomed cage so cool air can get to her bottom. Leave her there with food and water but nothing that looks like a nest for a few days. The length of time can vary but you can usually tell she is broken when she stops that constant clucking sound. If she goes back to the nest when you let her out, lock her up again for a couple more days. Some are harder than others.

Bantimna, bantams are often more likely to go broody than the full sized version. Often the bantams are bred more for show than egg production, thus going broody and stopping laying is not a capital crime.

5. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Oh, I forgot to add, if you don't want her to be broody, you can break her of it. Since she doesn't seem to be one of the very broody breeds, it may be as simple as putting her off the nest a few times. And putting her on the roost at night.

If that doesn't work, putting her in a wire cage with no bedding, just food and water, for a few days to a week will definitely do the trick.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    When I was a kid we had a Pearl White go broody. She hatched out 3 chicks.... and she took care of them... we figured it was a miracle back then.

7. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    We have a broody leghorn large not bantam..she lives to raise chicks.She always has 100% grow up rates and lays NO eggs EVER As soon as her kids get old enough to want independence she's out looking for another bunch to set on.All of "her" kids still like to snuggle with Mom at night on the roost though-many bigger than her. Cranky lives here now just to raise chicks for me...she does 8 without any worries about power outages and humidity levels [​IMG]
    You won't play with her chicks though..she got her name for a reason [​IMG]

8. Krodsorin

Krodsorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2009
    NSW Australia
    whats her name?

9. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Looks like her name is Cranky. That is if you're asking about HBuehler's hen and not the OP's.

Ooops! Silly me, You are the OP. [​IMG] Well it's too late for coffee so I guess it's time for bed.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by