Leghorn crossed with a Rhode island Red?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by The Chickeneer, Dec 29, 2012.

1. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

Would it make a sex link? And what kind? A couple of months a go I hatched some eggs from the health food store "Trader Joes". The two that hatched(Leghorns) are a couple of months old and starting to crow, I was disapointed that they were not hens...but then I remebered i had an RIR pullet. If they breed it would make a red sex-link correct? Im not familiar with the different sex link breeds and combinations. Thanks for any info.

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    As far as I know you have one barred parent when making sexlinks, but I aint up to snuff on that stuff.[​IMG] Now I did cross a white cornish cross meatie hen to a buff orp roo and those wont sexlinked, just 1 ton chicks [​IMG] But your cross should make some good layers [​IMG]

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Nope, for red sex links you need a red roo over a silver hen. Which parent is which color is the key, you can't reverse it. Sorry.

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    no you would not get sex links. you need a red rooster and white hens...you have the most popular breeds used for sex links just wrong genders of them..

5. Draden11

Draden11 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2012
    Nope, for red sex links you need a red roo over a silver hen

6. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

Would it still make a good layer? When I hatched the Leghorns, i wanted hens so bad, but since they are roosters......i thought i should get rid of them, but didn't want to if I could have some breeding use out of them.

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    If you breed a Leghorn Rooster over a Rhode Island Red Hen you WILL get chicks that are Sex-links BUT not the typical Red or Black Sex-link.
    By crossing a fast feathering Leghorn over a slow feathering Rhode Island Red there Male offspring will have normal feather growth at day one where the Female off spring will have more mature feather growth.
    You can read more about this cross here https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Chris

2 people like this.
  8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd think the offspring pullets would be great layers. I put brown leghorn roos in my mixed laying flock several years ago to boost the egg production. I decided the eggs were more my goal so I was willing to sacrifice some size to the cockerels that would wind up on the table.

9. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Wait, I have to figure something out first... when you say you hatched eggs from Trader Joes, are you talking about eggs that you bought for eating? That had been shipped and refrigerated? And it worked?

10. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    trader joes sells hatching eggs....usually leghorn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by