Leghorn crossed with a Rhode island Red?

The Chickeneer

~A Morning's Crow~
9 Years
Jan 9, 2011
Central Valley California
Would it make a sex link? And what kind? A couple of months a go I hatched some eggs from the health food store "Trader Joes". The two that hatched(Leghorns) are a couple of months old and starting to crow, I was disapointed that they were not hens...but then I remebered i had an RIR pullet. If they breed it would make a red sex-link correct? Im not familiar with the different sex link breeds and combinations. Thanks for any info.

As far as I know you have one barred parent when making sexlinks, but I aint up to snuff on that stuff.
roll.png
Now I did cross a white cornish cross meatie hen to a buff orp roo and those wont sexlinked, just 1 ton chicks
lau.gif
But your cross should make some good layers
big_smile.png

Nope, for red sex links you need a red roo over a silver hen. Which parent is which color is the key, you can't reverse it. Sorry.

no you would not get sex links. you need a red rooster and white hens...you have the most popular breeds used for sex links just wrong genders of them..

Would it still make a good layer? When I hatched the Leghorns, i wanted hens so bad, but since they are roosters......i thought i should get rid of them, but didn't want to if I could have some breeding use out of them.

If you breed a Leghorn Rooster over a Rhode Island Red Hen you WILL get chicks that are Sex-links BUT not the typical Red or Black Sex-link.
By crossing a fast feathering Leghorn over a slow feathering Rhode Island Red there Male offspring will have normal feather growth at day one where the Female off spring will have more mature feather growth.
You can read more about this cross here https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information

13371_sexfaether.jpg

img006.JPG

Chris

I'd think the offspring pullets would be great layers. I put brown leghorn roos in my mixed laying flock several years ago to boost the egg production. I decided the eggs were more my goal so I was willing to sacrifice some size to the cockerels that would wind up on the table.

Would it make a sex link? And what kind? A couple of months a go I hatched some eggs from the health food store "Trader Joes". The two that hatched(Leghorns) are a couple of months old and starting to crow, I was disapointed that they were not hens...but then I remebered i had an RIR pullet. If they breed it would make a red sex-link correct? Im not familiar with the different sex link breeds and combinations. Thanks for any info.

Wait, I have to figure something out first... when you say you hatched eggs from Trader Joes, are you talking about eggs that you bought for eating? That had been shipped and refrigerated? And it worked?

Wait, I have to figure something out first... when you say you hatched eggs from Trader Joes, are you talking about eggs that you bought for eating? That had been shipped and refrigerated? And it worked?
trader joes sells hatching eggs....usually leghorn

Back
Top Bottom