Leghorn stopped laying months ago

Jeni in FL

In the Brooder
Jan 12, 2018
Hello everyone. I have a leghorn that is about 2 years old. When she started laying, she laid every day without fail. After a year, she just stopped. I often find her sitting in the nesting box, but she never lays an egg. She eats great, interacts with the other hens, and acts completely normal. She is not molting. I have looked in other areas she roams in for secret egg nests. This has been going on several (5-7) months. If I scratch her back, she assumes "the position" :) I am at a loss. Could she simply just be "out of eggs"?

I have looked in other areas she roams in for secret egg nests.
How big is this area?
Do you have other white egg layers?
Might be time for an exam:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
Then maybe:
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Could she simply just be "out of eggs"?
Not likely, tho her ovary may be shut down and not growing/releasing them.

Their coop is big enough for the mere 7 hens I have, plus they get out to free range in the backyard half the day. She is the only one that lays white eggs and I watch them pretty closely all day while they are out so I know she isn't laying outside the coop. She actually sits in nesting box, but just never lays and egg. :(

Attachments

• image000000 (4).jpg
    image000000 (4).jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 4
She is still not laying, more than a year now. She did go through a molt a few months ago and then started laying "fairy" eggs. Today was the fourth such egg in the last 4 months. She lays in the nesting box, but gets out without laying an egg. I am still baffled why after being such a rock star layer, she simply stopped laying for over a year now. This was the egg she laid in the nesting box today. A light held up to it does not show a yolk, another fairy egg. Does anyone have any ideas what is going on?

*edited after cracking.... looks like there is some sort of yolk. Attached is pictures from being cracked open and then stirred some (very thick white!). Have you seen anything like this?

Attachments

• IMG_20210221_143445.jpg
    IMG_20210221_143445.jpg
    457.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20210221_151130.jpg
    IMG_20210221_151130.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20210221_151248.jpg
    IMG_20210221_151248.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I am still baffled why after being such a rock star layer, she simply stopped laying for over a year now.
In my limited experience...

The production white Leghorns are bred for outstanding egg production for that first laying cycle... and then .... there was no further selection.

In other words... my production white Leghorns are the only birds I have ever had that ended up with various laying issues... and ALL of their laying issues popped up after the end of that first laying cycle.

I have had a few that managed to live decently long and productive lives....

But ... I bet your girl has some sort of glitch in her laying system. So... nothing you can do.

I have switched to breeder Leghorns which lay almost as well... and are issue free and long lived.

*edited after cracking.... looks like there is some sort of yolk. Attached is pictures from being cracked open and then stirred some (very thick white!). Have you seen anything like this?
Hard to tell just what that is, but I would suspect sloughed off tissue from inside repro tract... or could be partially congealed pus from an infection.

Back
Top Bottom