Leghorn with Dirty Bottom but Laying Eggs

Elifberkel

In the Brooder
Nov 11, 2017
Hi All,
I have a leghorn who has had a dirty bottom (loose poop) for quite a few weeks, but she is eating well and laying 4-5 eggs a week. All of my girls are on their sanded run with lots of shade (I am in Dubai and it is already hitting 100Fs. I mix Garlic & Apple Cider in their water, and they are on Organic Layer Feed. Any suggestions how I can make my girl better? TIA

Well noted thank you. Although i do feed them with the organic pellets with natural dewormer, she may still have it I guess

Greetings Elifberkel,

In order to stop the hen's loose stools, you'll need to determine what is causing it.

Apple Cider vinegar is a helpful addition to the chicken's water, but in the Summer months, because the chickens eat less, it is best to use ACV just one day a week.

Where I live, we've had extremely high heat the last 5 years, up to 108 degrees Fahrenheit. At 100 degrees, I get the electrolytes ready to add to the chickens water. At 102 degrees, I add the electrolytes to the water, for the first three days of high heat. This gives them time to adapt. But, if there are jumps in the temperature, and the chickens are panting, I will add electrolytes again. Some cold watermelon and coconut chips (coconut also good for loose stools), is also appreciated. I use box fans, and a water misting system to keep the chickens cool. Placing containers of water in front of a box fan will chill the water for the chickens. Chickens will not drink hot water.

Chickens are at their best in 55 - 75 degrees Fahrenheit. Diarrhea is not good for the chicken, especially in high heat. They can become dehydrated quickly, and suddenly die. So, you have to be vigilant of heat stress and dehydration. Plenty of fresh water, is always best during hot weather.

If your hen is still laying and eating well, she may have loose stools because she is taking in more water, due to the heat. Chickens will also drink a lot of water and then release it through the vent, in an effort to cool their internal body temperature. There may even be little bits of digested feed in it. This is just another thing that will tell you they are very hot. And, some hens and breeds are just more sensitive to rising temperatures.

So, just in case you ever need it, here is a recipe for electrolytes.

Home Made Electrolytes Solution
1 cup water
2 tsp. Sugar
1/8 tsp. Salt
1/8 tsp. Baking Soda

Combine and store in the refridgerator, make fresh batch if not used in 3 days.

Normally you would dilute this into one gallon of water, for the flock.
Or, you may administer 1 mL, with an oral syringe for illness or shock.

Electrolytes should be used only if birds appear stressed, 102° F, and above.

It seems like you are having temps that are warmer than normal for this time of year.

Another thing you may want to do, is take in a sample of feces to the local vet, for a fecal float test. This will reveal, if there are any internal parasites, that can cause loose stools or diarrhea.

If your hen develops any other symptoms like not eating, sleepiness, lethargy, excessive diarrhea, or any discharges from the nostrils, eyes, mouth, or soft/shell-less eggs, etc. Then, reach out to the members here on BYC. We will try and sort it out for you.

These are my thoughts on your hen's issue. I hope they are helpful.

Please consider the advice of other members, as well.

God Bless :)

Diarrhea can just happen occasionally for reasons, such as diet, planta esten, and in your case, probably hot weather making her drink more water. I would clean off the soiled vent, trim any extea fluff that poo is clinging to, and if feed does not include probiotics, add a tsp of plain yogurt a couple of days a week to her diet. Worms are not the only cause of runny poops, but can be easily diagnosed by a vet with a fecal test for parasites.

Back
Top Bottom