Leghorn with issues, advice please.

I have had frostbite in a few rooster's combs in the past. It can take a week or so for you to be able to see if it it mild enought to heal, or if it is just going to dry up and round off in a few weeks. If it is opaque, that sounds fairly serious. Honestly I usually don't use anything on the combs since they are so painful, but many use plain neosporin or Vetericyn spray. You can see a lot of images of frostbite in combs if you just Google it. There is one of an opaque comb.

Yeah. I have been just using Neosporin...it doesn't appear to be getting worse...I will try to take a picture today, just been a hectic week and I haven't gotten around to it.

Here's what it looks like today.

Needless to say, she's going to be spending tonight (12F) in her box in the laundry room (40F) I wanna give her poor little comb a chance to heal.

Poor girl. Her comb should heal fine, but the points will just be gone. It happens in very cold areas. I would try to get her back out and getting gradually used to the coop again soon. Otherwise she willget used to the warm house temperatures and may have a hard time readjusting to the cold.

Back
Top Bottom