Leghorn?

I'll try to get better pictures, it's hard to do by myself, and those two are extremely flighty. and at 4 months, very small compared to my others. I've read they come in a bantam variety too. My rooster, Reggie stands up to my knee, and I know he weighs more than 6 pounds. the little girls might weigh 2 pounds each. The speckled (pepper) seems to be much fluffier and bigger bones than Angel, who is very dainty. sorry I'm repeating myself, but my animals are basically all I have outside of two teens and my partner.

With that reddish brown around the throat, that second bird is probably a RIR/white Leghorn cross. TSC sells those as Tetra Tints. I have six right now, and they lay a very lightly tinted egg. I don't think she's an Exchequer Leghorn. Makes a lot more sense that she'd be a common cross rather than a hard to find rare color. If she is a Tetra Tint, she'll lay much better than an Exchequer Leghorn would, so that's a plus!
they sell exchequer leghorns in hatchery's

they sell exchequer leghorns in hatchery's

Sure, but exchequer Leghorns don't have breakthrough red in their feathers. Tetra Tints do. In fact, this bird could be the twin to two of the Tetra Tints I have right now, and doesn't really look like the photo of the exchequer Leghorn that was posted.

Here are a few pics of my Grandfathers Buff Leghorns, and a White in there too maybe, that were hatched in April of this year. They were bought from a breeder, not ordered from a hatchery.

~Casey

OMG, Reggie is huge compared to that rooster in the last picture. his comb stands at good 2 inches high, and his earlobes are bright yellow. I need to get online earlier in the day. my speckled girl has reddish earlobes... you guys are sure she's a leghorn or a leghorn mix? she and the pure white leghorn girl were ordered straight from a facility via a feed and supply store. not TSC. I recently spoke to the guy I bought the two from and his are laying nice white eggs and he's positive the rest are leghorns. crap, my partner just made me forget what else I was gonna write.

Tetra is a Hungarian, international poultry genetics/breeding company producing a half dozen commercial layer bird lines.

These include the Tint, the Amber, SL (sexlink) etc. Their "products" are now fairly common in North America, used commercially, and also sold to the public through various retail outlets. http://www.babolnatetra.com/termekek_en.html

Just sayin'

Back
Top Bottom