Leghorns Gender?

Plantgirl04

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013

Ok guys I am trying to figure out the sex of this leghorn. He/she is a little over three months. I at first thought female but the other two's combs are already getting big and starting to flop over. I will post them too.

Thanks for the help!!
wink.png

both pullets.

at this age, a leghorn male would be showing obvious sickles(long curved roo tail feathers) and lots of super shiny and pointy feathers on neck and some starting to grow on back. Also their comb and wattles usually are thicker- and MUCH bigger than their sisters. Pretty common for leghorn cockerels to start showing very early comb growth- starting at two-four weeks.

The second bird does have a bigger comb but it is very thin plus no sickles or roo feathering.

Leghorn comb size varies a LOT. in some lines the combs are small on hens, in others they are much bigger. If you have pullets from each of those lines it would seem the ones from the latter are boys if compared to former. But put males in the mix, the difference is way obvious.

Last edited:
Thank you! This means I get to keep them! Yay!
wee.gif
I already have Two Roo Aulstralops and that's more than I need as it is. I bought one hen who is a little older and introduced her to the flock. She laid one egg and stopped I'm guessing she's just stressed. The others aren't old enough to lay yet. I was so worried when I saw the difference in their combs that I had more males.

Back
Top Bottom