Leghorns

Is it normal for a leghorn to have tinted eggs an there rough not smooth like a normal egg.

• Leghorns

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eggs

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cwashelesky

In the Brooder
Dec 29, 2019
Why does my leghorn have tinted eggs an there not smooth like a normal egg. Also do chickens lay more then 1 egg a day?

Why does my leghorn have tinted eggs an there not smooth like a normal egg. Also do chickens lay more then 1 egg a day?
Egg color depends on individual birds. There's been reports from other people about off-white leghorn eggs.

Some chickens will lay two eggs a day instead of one. I've experienced this with my birds.

Leghorns are supposed to carry a gene that represses brown pigment on the shell. The fact that yours doesn't means that she's probably a bit poorly bred.

The rough egg can be a sign of something wrong in the egg factory. It can be a sign of not having enough calcium, phosphorus, or vitamin D (all essential to nice egg-shells) or maybe she's just not finishing them because of something wrong in the mechanics. If it's the latter, it might sort itself out, and it might not.

I do get rough eggs from my flock, but they're from the six-year-old, who occasionally also lays soft-shell eggs. Because she's not completing the egg-shell, she may have time to make and lay more than one egg. Usually, it takes 24-26 hours to complete the entire egg, including shell.

Back
Top Bottom